Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Web Based Log?  (Read 643 times)
KA8OCN

Ignore
« on: November 27, 2006, 04:17:54 PM »

Is there a website that offers a log book so it can be accessed from different locations?

I am trying to get back into the swing of things, but one thing I have never been very good at is keeping a log. Like this weekend I was at the cabin and did not think I would have any time to operate and I made a hand full of contacts but I wrote them down on a piece of paper but usually the paper gets lost before I get it into my paper log at home.

What is the best logging software to use? Which one is easy? How about one thats easy and the data file can be moved from computer to computer EASLY?

I dont want much . . . . . .

Thanks for any help people can send my way
Delbert McCord
dmccord253@hotmail.com
(Please dont add me to any spam list, I have plenty)
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 11:48:33 PM »

I don't know of any web-based log, Delbert. You could use Google's new web-accessible spreadsheet:

http://www.google.com/intl/en/options/

DXKeeper is free, and you can easily move its log file from one PC to another:

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/

Dave, AA6YQ

WA6ODQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 12:44:07 AM »

I am considering writing a web-based log, if someone can provide me with the fields they'd like to store, I can develop one that users can sign into and log their contacts.
WA7NCL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 01:34:18 PM »

You could remote control your home PC via Logmein.com.  I have used it to receive PSK and run my shack computer and rig via the internet browser.  You can do so even through a firewall because they leave port 80 open for internet acess.  The free product is unlimited if you register.  I have even gotten an update.  If you pay for the service you can also down load or upload files.

It does not support audio, so you can't listen to anything.

There are a number of other services like gotomyPC that might offer more features but of course you have to pay.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 02:22:04 AM »

Do you have a server farm with the necessary capacity, bandwidth, and fault tolerance to provide such a service if more than a few ops take you up on your offer?

Dave, AA6YQ
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 02:23:38 AM »

You can use Skype (or a similar VOIP product) for bidirectional remote audio. I've successfully used Skype with Logmein for remote station operation in phone, CW, and PSK31.

Dave, AA6YQ
VE3VID

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 03:31:14 PM »

How about a laptop w/ your fav logging software?
N5RED

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 05:05:47 PM »

This should be really easy to implement in Ruby and Rails.
KD8DRX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 10:59:39 PM »

I've actually been considering developing a Rails based logging app, as part of my learning Ruby and Rails. Given that it would be a very simple CRUD app, it wouldn't be too hard, at all.
KE4WLE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 09:13:58 AM »

If anyone is willing to develop a web-based logging tool I am willing to provide free web hosting on my server.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: