Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-940SAT  (Read 1721 times)
W4CXT

Ignore
« on: April 13, 2010, 04:54:11 PM »

I have just purchase a 909mil 940. And to my knowledge its untouched. What do you kenwood buffs recomend to do to this radio to make it last many more years.

Im talking like power supply refresh with new caps. stuff like that.

Thanks ahead of time!
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 05:03:11 PM »

You've bought a great radio.
I've heard some say you should replace the PA drivers but it's never been a problem for me. Original owner,bought new, still untouched, been to Africa and back with it, RTTY Contester. All works FB.
(Oh, it does need a new meter backlight.)
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 05:10:13 PM »

If it's working OK now, then don't fool with it.

It's lasted 20+ years, and if you get in it poking around, you stand a good chance of causing yourself a problem.  This is particularly true if you were to fold down the front face.  Disturbing that wiring harness can cause all sorts of problems.

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 05:44:20 PM »

Like the old saying "If'n it ain't broke, don't try to fix it"

I have a mid series TS940SAT that I think is one of the best radios ever made. I also have a new TS-2000(X) and the 940 will hear things the TS2K never even knows is there. I got the TS2K for a really good deal and only use it for 6M DXing and WSJT modes so far.

I think you're going to find the TS940 is a great rig and should last a very long time if properly cared for. One thing to watch for that I have heard about and seen a few times on my rig is the TX/RX switching relays not bringing the rcvr back online. Essential rcv audio is there but it sounds like large dB of attenuation. These relays are not available anymore and very hard to find as surplus. My rig is much older than yours so you'll probably not hear this for a long time - if at all. I hear this about once every 6 months. A couple of taps on the PTT footswitch and the rcvr comes back to life and all is well for another long period.

Congrats and welcome to the Kenwood family Smiley

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
W4CXT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 05:51:27 PM »

I really appreciate it guys..... One other thing i was wondering about it the power output. I know some guys realign the final stage to get 150w + on SSB. Is this a good idea or is it to be shyed from?
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 06:36:52 PM »

"I know some guys realign the final stage to get 150w + on SSB. Is this a good idea or is it to be shyed from?"

I wouldn't do it. If it works don't fix it.
What will you gain with an extra 50 watts anyway, even if done properly by a factory tech? If you want more power, buy an amp.Smiley

Some guys just have to "tweak their rigs" for
bragging rights. Installing INRAD filters for the 940 is one thing.That some very useful advantages for CW & contest ops. Boosting the output or "opening it up" (the so-called "MARS/CAP Mod") is another. Silliness.
W4CXT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 06:41:25 PM »

I agree ! Well i've learned alot .... Dont get the majic screw drivers and what not into the radio if its working.

I looked at the inrad filters, only thing is the 930 and 950 have the roofing filter kit but not the 940, anyone know why?
W3DDF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 08:21:27 AM »

I owned a new 9 million serial number 940 back in the 80's and made the mistake of selling it in 2000.  Now I have two 940s. One 7 mil and one 9 mil.  I love them, better than my Yaesu FT950.  You may keep and eye out of the clock losing time or non-existent. There are two lithium batteries. One behind the LCD display an another on a board under the speaker. I replace both of them and the one under the speaker was just starting to corrode. The bulbs behind the LCD display and S-meter can burn out. I replaced the LCD display bulbs with LEDs.  An easy repair to do. Those replacement bulbs are not available. The S-meter bulbs are available but not from Kenwood.

You will have to tilt down the front panel which is no big deal. Never had a problem doing that. Just make sure you watch the routing of the wiring to free up some slack in them.
W4CXT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 08:26:44 AM »

W3DFF or anyone else, On the LEDS do you have to scuff up the end of the led so the light is dispersed across the lcd and meter correctly?
W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 08:48:40 AM »

I had one for 5 years.  One evening while on 40 meters the pass transistor (voltage regulator) decided to fail putting 40+ volts on several  transmitter circuits.  There was about 600 bucks worth of damage.  HRO told me this was a common problem with those radios.  They recommended I install a crow bar circuit at the output of the voltage regulator in case it happened again.  I did just that.  what the crowbar circuit does is it blows a fuse in the 40+ volt line to prevent damage to the radio.
W3DDF

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 10:17:16 AM »

"W3DDF or anyone else, On the LEDS do you have to scuff up the end of the led so the light is dispersed across the lcd and meter correctly?"
--------------------------------------

I didn't scuff up the end of the led because I didn't know about that at the time I installed them but now I do and probably would. I used Super Green LEDs.  Tried the diffused LEDs and they did not produce enough light. The Super Green LEDs actually produce more light than the original bulbs but not too much. They worked well. Had to use a resister in line though. As for the S-meter bulbs I used a regular bulb for that. I bought them from Fry's Electronics. The same ratings just a bit larger but not enough that modification to the mounting bracket behind the meter was required.
W4CXT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 01:45:08 PM »

Yeah the previous owner told me that one of the bulbs in the meter was bad so im going to replace with leds.

Now the main tuning know has a good knick on it. There a good way to repaint it? Anyone even ventured in to that?
W4CXT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 01:46:19 PM »

I cant spell  today. I meant "KNOB".
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: