Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Portable logging software (run from USB drive)?  (Read 514 times)
WB0VRI

Ignore
« on: March 05, 2007, 09:45:41 AM »

Is there any Windows based logging software that will run from a USB thumb drive and keep it's database and settings on the thumb drive?
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 04:03:40 PM »

hi peter,

when you run the installation for the package,
just change the install directory to the USB drive
and you should be just fine.

73 james
WB0VRI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 04:20:17 AM »

That won't work because most of the software packages install DLL's to the Windows and/or System32 directory. Some also install registry entries or register DLL's that must be properly "installed" or the application won't work.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 03:14:36 PM »

hi Peter,

You are right about dll or registry entries but
that is within the OS, on the c: drive.

The usb drive is just a removable drive,
we have many systems setup here at work with
applications on other drives and only the windows 0/S on the C: drive.

Only real test is to give it a try.

73 james
AB2RC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 09:00:51 AM »

jLog should work

http://jlog.org

Since it is written in java, you shpuld be ble to use it on ony machine that has java installed -- linux at home, windows portable...
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 10:50:20 AM »

hi peter,

hi,

I just installed Amateur Contact Log 3.0
by n3fjp.com on my usb drive.

No problems.

Now if you want to use the software on different computers, you will have to run the installation setup
on each computer for it to run but direct the installer to use the USB drive.

73 james
VE6SZR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 08:51:19 PM »

You also have potentially another option. Sandisk has been manufacturing newer versions of their USB drives which are marked "U3". U3 is some combination of hardware and software on these new generation USB flash drives which tries to solve the issue of running software from a memory stick on a public or host computer.

As it has been mentioned in further replies on this forum. One of the problems in running from a flash drive is that there are many times that additional installation files are required, such as DLL files.

Now the big catch for these newer U3 drives is that in order to run software from the flash drive, you must have the program converted and made U3 compatible. If you do some reading on the U3 drives, you will notice a whole bunch of software manufacturers releasing U3 compatible versions of some of their software; such as Winamp, Firefox web brower, etc. The downside is that some of the software is free, while others are not. (It would appear that U3 is simply another opportunity for software manufacturers to cash in on another verison of software).

Therefore the question is: How can someone "convert" existing software to the U3 standard? Well, I stumbled upon a piece of software called "U3 Package Factory" and it's FREE for non-commercial use (http://www.eure.ca/). This software can convert software to U3 versions and can run on these SANDISK flash drives.

There is a catch however, the software that you want to convert cannot rely on the computer's registry too extensively....and the software cannot be too terribly complex. However I have had quite a bit of luck in converting various piece of software for my own purposes. In some cases, one must install the software on a computer so that you can package the EXE file as well as the DLLs too.

Anyhow, hope this might have piqued your interest (or anyone else's)....

Good Luck.
VE6SZR
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 06:45:20 PM »

hi Valentino,

good info !

73 james
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: