Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Packet S/W for KPC-2  (Read 565 times)
WA9SVD

Ignore
« on: March 04, 2007, 10:12:31 AM »

I'm looking for S/W to run a Kantronics KPC-2 TNC.  The PacTerm (DOS) program that came with my KPC-3 won't work.  I have HostMaster II that will work, (As will Win98 HyperTerm) but I want this for portable use with an older laptop that doesn't handle Windoze or even the HostMaster very well.  No bells or whistles are necessary, just basic control of the TNC and packet use.  Obviously, shareware or public domain is the idea, and MS-DOS is the OS.
    Any suggestions will be appreciated.
KA1DBE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 06:24:08 AM »

The old QRZ.com archives are full of terminal programs.  I remember using Simple Term which was very configurable and there are many others.  Good luck with your hunt.
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 09:13:52 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll see what I can find.

Foolishly (in hindsight) my old copies of CrossTalk, ProComm and Smartcom went to Salvation Army or Goodwill years ago.  (I wonder if I still have the 5.25" disks still stashed away...)
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 12:52:36 AM »

Just an update.  Because the KPC-2 was purchased as "previously owned," I didn't know what sort of parameters had been set internally.  After much frustration and trying several programs, including SmartCom and Crosstalk, I realized I was supposed to perform a "hard reset" so that I could put my callsign into the TNC memory.  (DUH!)
    The hard reset also cleared the other problems in the TNC, and it now works with any basic terminal emulation software, including Crosstalk, Smartcom, and even the Pacterm (DOS) from Kantronics.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: