Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommed quiet LCD monitor please  (Read 663 times)
K7NHB

Ignore
« on: January 16, 2007, 01:32:07 PM »

I'm looking at a StarLogic, Princton, or envision LCD monitor 17 or 19 inch. Anyone have experience with these that would point to one over the other?
Thank you and 73,
Paul
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 07:06:39 PM »

hi paul,

I don't own either of these, take a look at cnet
reviews, not sure of your model(s) numbers.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Princeton_LCD_1711_flat_panel_display_TFT_17/4505-3174_7-31553561.html

73 james
K7NHB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 08:08:14 PM »

Thank you for the link. Very interesting. However, what I was looking for was some experience with radio interference. Which LCD monitors have you found noisy or quiet. It is difficult to test in the store because of all the noise with nearby computers and monitors.

I know an LCD is a big step up (or step down) in computer generated noise. But within the LCD world, are any more quiet than others?

Thank you and 73,
Paul
VA3DXV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 09:01:20 AM »

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with Dell.

I have 2, a 1901fp and a 2005fpw, neither of them cause any noticeable noise on any band. I haven't had any grief with them in any other way either, and you couldn't ask for a better picture.
WA7IRY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 01:59:51 AM »

I just noticed this thread.  Here's a link to a thread I started up recently on the RFI Forum:

http://www.eham.net/forums/RFI/1523

Down towards the end, it lists a number of specific monitors that some hams have actually USED in their shacks and know them to be RFI-free.

I just hope I can remember where this info is posted when the time comes to upgrade my own hamshack monitor...  ;-)

Hope this helps.

Rod  WA7IRY
K7NHB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 01:38:30 PM »

Thank you, Good info. I just returned a Hanns G. 19 inch because I could hear a whine from the monitor that changed with the frequency refresh setting.

I stopped by Staples to pick up an envision but didn't like the particular model on sale. They had a Samsung for the same price but were out of stock. I took a Staples brand monitor home on trial. Like the Hanns G. it has speaks in the monitor. And it has a two plug USB hub in the stand. Works great. Quiet as can be. Note that it uses an outboard power supply where the Hanns G. plugged 110AC directly to the back of the monitor. I think the outboard powersupply allows beads to be added to the cable for additional filtering if necessary.

Thanks again for the links.
Paul
WA7IRY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 08:48:22 AM »

Excellent, glad you found one that worked out without the RFI.  

For future reference, would you mind posting the exact model number of that Staples unit?

Thanks & 73,
-- Rod  WA7IRY
K7NHB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 04:55:34 PM »

The model is Staples SP9106 with a sale price of $209 for the 19 inche model. Because the store was out of stock on the SamSung that was for sale at $189, they sold me the Staples model for that price - your mileage may vary.

The Staple monitor includes built in speakers and a Two port USB hub in the base.

To be fair to Hanns G., it wasn't that their monitor was RFI noisy - it was because I could hear a high pitched whine when connected to the Mac, but NOT the PC. The whine changed pitch with the refresh rate - 60Hz or 75Hz. And I was using it at a "non-approved" resolution for the Mac.

I think the biggest problem was the power supply was built into the back of the monitor - only one AC plug from there to the wall socket - a feature for some.

When I bought the Staples I was sure the tell the clerk that I intended to bring it back if there was ANY problem.

I'm very happy with it. Though the resolution isn't higher then a 17 inch monitor (most are not), so I see the same info on the screen - images/text are little bigger, easier for the eyes.

Paul
KE4WLE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 11:02:30 AM »

HP L1706 or L1906 - solid and well-built (no QRN).
WA7IRY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 11:46:33 AM »

Here's a link to an update to the thread on the RFI forum regarding RFI-free monitors that I created some months ago.  I just posted info regarding my new Viewsonic VX1935WM LCD monitor.  

http://www.eham.net/forums/RFI/1523

Bottom line: Excellent unit -- Absolutely NO detectable RFI on any HF bands.

Hope this helps anyone thinking of getting a new monitor.

-- Rod WA7IRY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: