Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FTM-10R vs ICOM 208H  (Read 1550 times)
KB3DVS

Ignore
« on: April 17, 2010, 11:58:47 AM »

Prices are comparable after adding bluetooth to the Yaesu and Universal Radio even throws in a wired mic with the Yeasu. However, I have seen a mod on the Icom to open it up, but not on the Yaesu.

I'm looking for a diminutive mobile radio for my Miata. I am enticed by the Bluetooth because it would (might) allow me to use my existing cell phone headset and hear the radio SOOOO much better than a speaker in the car, with the top down, on the highway (lots of wind and road and engine noise) but then I wonder about wind noise on the bluetooth headset.

I really like the look of the Icom 208H, the tiny face would fit the one place I could put it, perfectly.

But I wonder if either support saving power levels in with the memories. So a close repeater doesn't need all 50w, I can do with 20 or 10. But saving that in the memory with the frequency would save me from having to remember to turn power up and down.

I have a FT-100 which the 2m finals have already had problems so I'm leaning more toward the bulletproof-ness I _think_ the Icom will have, but the Yaesu us just chock full of new and innovative features, like bluetooth.

What other aspects should I be looking at? What other radios should I be looking at (the previous Icom, the 207H looks okay too, but is clearly older.)?

Advice, AND questions, appreciated!
N8EKT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 05:50:37 AM »

I know several local hams that own the 208.

They havn't had any failures but the receiver has VERY poor selectivity and intermod rejection.

Icom put an attenuator on the radio for good reason.

The level of interference makes the radio useless in
major metro areas.

And the way the radio has to be programmed is very confusing compared to everybody elses procedures.

My old kenwood tm-731 outperforms the Icom 208 receiver hands down.
KB0XR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 06:29:21 AM »

i have the FTM 10R and am very disappointed in it.  Intermod is terrible and I have other issues with  it also.  Tough(For me anyway) to program it and can't switch from memories to VFO most of the time.  There is a Yahoo group for the FTM and I read there that the bluetooth is kind of a joke also.  I haven't used bluetooth so I don't know personally.  AM broadcast is not reliable in it although FM broadcast is okay.  I'll probably dump it at the next hamfest.
KB3DVS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 10:42:02 AM »

Okay, bad intermod on both of the radios I was looking at. What alternatives should I be looking at instead?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: