Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: insurance ?  (Read 21320 times)
KB1BZR

Ignore
« on: March 21, 2012, 07:30:09 PM »

-----------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 10:31:28 PM by KB1BZR » Logged
KE5EOT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 08:13:24 AM »

Is there someone you could trust as a house sitter?
WA0ZZG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 12:04:48 PM »

Yea;
Contact your homeowners insurance agent.  Unoccupied houses happen all the time.  The biggest risk is not burglary.  He will explain.  If you would want to store your radio collection there, no problem.  You may want to have a 'rider' added to your policy to guarantee that.  They will be considered collectables or maybe antiques.
Your local police department can also help by periodically checking the house for you.

Good luck on your new adventure.

Dave
WA0ZZG
KB1BZR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 02:33:13 AM »

----------------------------
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 10:31:56 PM by KB1BZR » Logged
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 04:36:59 AM »

Try Ham Radio Insurance Associates (http://www.hamradioinsurance.com/). No ARRL or any other "membership" involved. I am a customer, have had a claim, and WELL satisfied. You will be surprised who cheap it is to insure your gear, including computers and software, as well as having a mechanical breakdown policy wrapped into one.

de NA4IT
KB1BZR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 12:28:58 AM »

Huh
Gulp... Somebody suggested I delete some text of prior posts for my protection so I did. Otherwise I am so elusive I do not exist.(?)

Hey..funny question HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh??

Ameritron Amps. I dug a few out of the piles (in full clutter basement) here and wanted to hasty write down the serial numbers. In a hurry. The things can be heavy, I just wanted access to look at them.

I am loosing my memory but they do not have Serial Numbers ? At least I see nothing on the 811h and 572'b unit. (exterior)

Possibly insure something by 'no serial numbers' ? (I bought them new many years ago)

Amps cost money and as long as you can get the tubes..well...

N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 05:17:57 PM »

I am loosing my memory but they do not have Serial Numbers ? At least I see nothing on the 811h and 572'b unit. (exterior)

My AL-80A was purchased new from AES in 1991 and has no serial number on it either. Huh

A couple of things about HRIA (www.hamradioinsurance.com) that I recently learned from Bill Hill, W3WH -

1.) Homebrew gear isn't insurable.
2.) They will not insure equipment at a secondary station, like a vacation home, for example.

I don't know if the ARRL insurance offers these coverages either, but it's good info to have when shopping around.

Stephen
N5VTU
KB1BZR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 08:09:42 PM »

Undecided Undecided Undecided    I do not have original receipts. They were picked up a long time ago (serial numbers sure would help things)

An AL-82..811H..572B...others...Even an old Drake L-7...

The purpose of thinking about insurance was all these still usable amps do not vanish for good if somebody stole them. (and back-up tubes)

I'd guess transceivers have serial numbers.

I see ARRL has an insurance program which recently changed 'companies'.

Where is my home ? A PO BOX ?

No good something that is just gonna give you excuses if things are swiped.

The odds are nothing is gonna get lost but I invested in equipment over time and I am starting to get old and probably a fixed income. Take trips away and leave a house behind for periods of time.

ooops..that is your 'vacation' home...

Dumb question: The rates quoted are annual ? I asked ARRL and never heard anything.
WI4P

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 06:45:14 PM »

Why not talk to your homeowners insurance agent.  Your HO policy should cover your gear on the same basis as any other personal property such as TV's, furniture etc.
The main reason hams buy special insurance is to get "All Risk" coverage with a low deductible and to have claims handled by some one familiar with ham radio.  Many Homeowners companies will also add all risk floaters to their policies.

73, John

N4VNV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 03:43:09 PM »

I have had one home burglary in my life (age 70) and they left my ham gear alone. Had one rig stolen out of my auto in 50 years of hamming. For me Insurance is a waste of my money. I'm just saying....!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: