Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-680/TS-140 & Rigblaster Data Jack  (Read 1624 times)
KG6PHS

Ignore
« on: February 05, 2007, 07:31:47 AM »

Hi,

Has anybody tried the new Rigblaster Data Jack USB unit with a Kenwood TS-680s or TS-140S?

What kind of computer control functions would I get with
this rig from the early 90s? Would there be fewer functions using the data jack on back of the radio instead of the internal board option?

The radio has a place for a board inside for a RS-232C interface,
but I'd rather run USB since I don't use a PC with this kind of interface.

I was planning on trying it with Virtual PC 4 on my Macintosh,
which has Win 98SE USB support, unless I can find a Mac program that
would work.

Thanks for any advice.
KG6EJT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 10:28:05 AM »

I also have a Kenwood TS-140 in the shack. I recently purchased the Tigertronics SignalLink USB, based upon excellent reviews here on eHam. The unit has been backordered, but I hope it will arrive soon. If you haven't bought an interface yet, you may want to consider this one as it is documented to work with the TS-140, both through the mic jack and the 13-pin data jack. I can't speak to the portion of your message regarding interfacing it to a mac with a Windows emulator. I am running a PC with XP in my shack.

Hope that helps.

-Larry (KG6EJT)
KG6PHS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 01:03:00 PM »

Hi Larry,

Your Tigertronics USB SignalLink sounds good. I think it just does sound,
not rig control and logging, which is what I'm looking for.

From what I've been finding out, the ONLY way to get those things is to install the PIEXX computer interface card inside the radio, and then add a USB adapter cable. Kenwood discontinued their interface card.

Thanks,
Kit
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 11:04:31 AM »

Even with the "internal board" (IF-10C) in the TS-140/680, you would still need the IF-232C interface "box" to convert the signals to real world RS-232C levels.  Once you have RS-232C levels, and RS-232C signals, you might be able to get a USB-to-RS-232C converter that will work with the rig blaster.  Otherwise you WILL have to try using the data jack.
    But beware of any Kenwood (or other) radio that doesn't use a standard DB-9 connector for "Serial output."
    If you damage the internal circuitry, the repairs could be quite costly, and the data lines are not short-circuit proof, as RS-232C lines are supposed to be.
KG6PHS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 08:14:47 AM »

According to the Piexx.com website, their $89 IF-10C(PX) interface board
includes the RS-232 level converters, so it's complete, except for an adapter for USB, if that's what you need (I would, cause my Macintosh
doesn't have a PC serial jack).

-Kit
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 04:53:04 PM »

OK, you are correct.  The problem is that PIEXX is using a "dongle" sticking out the back of the radio.  Not an elegant solution, but the only one practical.  And it DOES save $$.

Good luck.
WP4YJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 04:09:15 PM »

I own a TS-140s with the PieXX Serial Interface for the TS-140. The unit is RS232 compatible and works great. I am about to test it with a USB to Serial converter.

As for the Rig Talk, you CAN NOT use it with the PieXX Serial interface as the RigTalk is on a TTL level. Now! I don’t know, but it may be possible to use the Rig Talk if you have Kenwood’s original Comm. connection. I believe it was TTL so that you could connect it to a Tandy/RS, Commodore, or Apple computer with TTL levels or if needed you would add the RS232 unit from Kenwood for true RS232 levels.

What do you get for controls on the 140? Mode change (AM/SSB/FM/CW) Frequency Change/ Band Change. That I know of this is about it. I use mine with MMTTY and Ham Scope.

Hope it Helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: