The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Workable Antenna  (Read 4466 times)
K5TEN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 05:28:17 PM »

I'm lucky.  I live on a mountainside with plenty of 75' pines, a 65' oak, and some 50' hickory trees.  

I could put a wire vertical in the pines for 80/75m, but it's not one of my favorite bands anymore.

I did put up a 43' wire vertical with 4 33' elevated radials for an elevated wire ground plane.  Works absolutely beyond expectations.  Maybe $30 worth of wire and $25 invested in coax.  It's a monster on 40m, does very well on 60m, and I can do QRP on 40m and 30m with 3 watts and can't be more elated.  It's 5/8wave on 20m and I have squeezed into pile-ups on DX with the big dogs with the KW's and towers and yagis and got the well-timed contact.

Up until I put this up, I was one of those "anti-vertical" hams who was adamant about yagis and horizontal dipoles.  If your deal is to work the maritime provinces on 80m in the evenings, I'd go with a dipole as best as you could, but it you are looking for a great DX antenna on the cheap that the folks in the maritimes could easily hear you during the day on 40m and you could work into VK/ZL late at night with 100w SSB...the elevated ground plane vertical is a nice weapon in the arsenal.

Good Luck!
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: