Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 706 mountiing in a pickup  (Read 910 times)
K3GHH

Ignore
« on: April 24, 2010, 03:14:26 AM »

I'm considering two locations for mounting my  Icom 706MkIIG in a little standard-cab Toyota pickup with a fiberglass cap covering the bed. (1) behind the bench seat; I think it will fit, physically, mounted vertically on the back wall of the cab, behind the passenger's end of the bench seat. I operate CW so even if the space is a little close I might not have a problem with overheating. (2) mounted to the front wall of the bed; in this case the power cord and cable for the face plate would have to pass through a grommet in the wall between the bed and the cab. I could mount it vertically or horizontally there, though vertically would intrude less on my storage space.

Anyone have any experience with either of these mounting locations, or see any obvious problems? I haven't operated mobile a lot, but have just been setting the 706 on the cab floor with its Z100 autotuner bungee-corded to it. For long trips I'd like a more convenient and secure location.

--John K3GHH  
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 04:33:10 AM »

Go to my web site, and bring up the Photo Gallery, and Other Installs. There are at least two examples of you truck.

AC2RC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 04:46:12 AM »

In my Ford the radio is bolted to the floor behind the seat and the control head bolted to the dash.
K3GHH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 05:40:44 PM »

Thanks, Alan and RC.

I just took the gear out to the truck, and the 706 WILL fit, mounted to the back wall, behind the bench seat even with the seat slid all the way back, the Z100 bungee-corded to the top of the rig, and the mobile mounting bracket (MB-62) being used!

Pretty tight, but not quite against the back of the seat. Guess I'll screw things down and start rerouting cables.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 04:20:21 PM by John B. Egger » Logged
K3GHH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 09:27:01 AM »

Well, it's mounted... excuse all the extra coax; I'll fix that later. This is with the seat slid forward, but there's clearance even with it all the way back and with the Z100 tuner strapped to the top. I've tested it on 2m but not on HF yet, and have not yet mounted the faceplate. So far, so good...

http://tinypic.com/r/jjv4sg/5

« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 12:30:24 PM by John B. Egger » Logged
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 11:49:54 AM »

John, you didn't mention what antenna you're using with the auto-coupler. Since you're connected to the antenna via coax, the antenna must be resonant on the band of interest, or there will be great loss in the coaxial cable.

If you're using a resonant antenna, there are better ways to do the matching than having yet another chunk of hardware. So??

K3GHH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 04:13:23 PM »

John, you didn't mention what antenna you're using with the auto-coupler. Since you're connected to the antenna via coax, the antenna must be resonant on the band of interest, or there will be great loss in the coaxial cable.

If you're using a resonant antenna, there are better ways to do the matching than having yet another chunk of hardware. So??

Well, Alan, I didn't mention it partly because I've seen your discussion of such antennas! It's a Hamstick (generally 40m), mounted on the rear bumper, and that coax is puny RG-58U. I like the Hamstick's low profile; I'm using that Z-100 because that's what I happened to have and that coax because it's flexible. The last time I did much mobile work I was using a Ten-Tec Scout at 50w, and was able to make quite a few contacts on 40m. (That was before the truck got rusty and started giving me ignition RFI... another problem yet to solve.)

Once I get this thing set up (face plate mounted on something, an extension cord under the seat for my CW paddles, the power cord routed more directly, the RFI problem ameliorated...) I'll work on efficiency improvements based on your wonderful website.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: