Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rotators  (Read 705 times)
W7KSO

Ignore
« on: April 24, 2010, 12:56:24 PM »

Has any manufacturer ever considered making a wireless rotator?  It may not be possible, but it would sure solve having to deal with the rotor cable.  I wouldn't have to be concerned with how to bring the cable into the house.  Thanks for any info.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 01:01:51 PM »

Only problem is its real tought to climb the tower once a week to change the batteries :-)  Seriously, you could make a wireless control box but you'd still have to have power outside to run the decoder and the motor.

How do you get RF to/from your antenna? Probably coax so why not just run the rotor cable along with the coax?
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 01:51:40 PM »

The availability of rig controls/SDR with rotator controls pretty well makes it moot. Wireless rotator control only makes sense if it's the last wire to be done away with. And that means solar power, with rig/rotator control over wireless Internet link. Whether or not you'd want all that mounted at the top of the tower or at the base would depend on whether security in a remote location was otherwise impossible.

Hummm. Now if I had all that, and I could put it a VP5JM, 150 feet above salt water looking in all the good directions, I could sit here at home and work it. No, wait! That would mean my rig would be living in the Caribbean while I wasn't. DOH!
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 04:35:58 PM »

The Armstrong Corporation has made wireless antenna rotators for decades.

Pat K7KBN

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 06:52:52 AM »

Completely possible.  Using a solar cell/wind turbine for power generation and a super capacitor for power storage (eliminates the maintenance of batteries).  It would be a rather compact unit.

However (I love the word however), you need to run cables up the tower regardless.  Other than some less cost (which presumably would be offset if not exceeded by the cost of the power generation and storage systems) and one less cable in the run, what's the gain?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: