Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slow laptop problems?  (Read 6770 times)
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 08:15:07 PM »

Your claim that you can accurately diagnose a laptop's performance problems sight unseen is simply ludicrous, consistent with many of your postings here.

This is easy here. Brand says it all. Dell was well know back then for minimal hardware and ram and used cheapest parts possible.

WA9YOZ's laptop is a Toshiba 6100, demonstrating once again that you have no idea what you are talking about.
WA9YOZ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2011, 09:38:23 AM »

Huh
Not to change the subject: Anyone still use an Amiga computer? I like my Amiga A-1200 with blazing speed of 60 Mhz!...Yup...sixty megahertz....been 90% pure Amiga computer enthusiast since 1989, but dabble now & then with Windoze.
Y'all have best of Season's Greetings!
73's
Tony
wa9yoz
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2011, 12:38:25 PM »

Not to change the subject: Anyone still use an Amiga computer? I like my Amiga A-1200 with blazing speed of 60 Mhz!...Yup...sixty megahertz....been 90% pure Amiga computer enthusiast since 1989, but dabble now & then with Windoze.

Our A1000 was an excellent RFI generator; quieting it down required several layers of aluminum foil. After getting my license in 1990, I wrote basic rig control, logging, and packet cluster apps in Moto 68K assembler and Modula, but switched to Windows in the mid-90s and began developing what is now DXLab. The Amiga's graphics and electronic music capabilities were well ahead of its competition's, but Commodore sadly squandered this lead.

I'll have to fire the Amiga back up one of these days for old time's sake. Too bad Modula never caught on outside of academia; it's a far more productive language than C or C++.

Dave, AA6YQ
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 04:14:12 PM »

Your claim that you can accurately diagnose a laptop's performance problems sight unseen is simply ludicrous, consistent with many of your postings here.

This is easy here. Brand says it all. Dell was well know back then for minimal hardware and ram and used cheapest parts possible.

WA9YOZ's laptop is a Toshiba 6100, demonstrating once again that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Not really, a 6100 has a P4-M 2200  which is slower than a somewhat newer Celeron M series running at 1.4ghz due to logic design (P4 old school design) And it has only 512 meg of ram. Today that spells slug like performance with todays apps and browsers. Increase ram to 1.5 gig or more and reducing swap file size will help noticeably (at 2 g you can disable swap file and speed it up more).  I have a 6+ year old Compaq with a 1.73ghz Celeron M and 2 gig of ram and a updated 7200 RPM drive and it still does a good job but it has more ram, better CPU and faster HD than 6100 too. More Ram would help a lot here but there will always be experts that will try to tell you otherwise.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 05:13:51 PM by W8JX » Logged

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2011, 06:22:46 PM »

Are you using any antivirus product?  Some of those "protections" on older XP machines can really bog 'em down.  $0.02...
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2011, 11:14:21 PM »

Not really, a 6100 has a P4-M 2200  which is slower than a somewhat newer Celeron M series running at 1.4ghz due to logic design (P4 old school design) And it has only 512 meg of ram. Today that spells slug like performance with todays apps and browsers. Increase ram to 1.5 gig or more and reducing swap file size will help noticeably (at 2 g you can disable swap file and speed it up more).  I have a 6+ year old Compaq with a 1.73ghz Celeron M and 2 gig of ram and a updated 7200 RPM drive and it still does a good job but it has more ram, better CPU and faster HD than 6100 too. More Ram would help a lot here but there will always be experts that will try to tell you otherwise.

You recommended that WA9YOZ abandon his laptop because "Dell was well know back then for minimal hardware and ram and used cheapest parts possible", even though WA9YOZ's laptop is a Toshiba, not a Dell. Now you're trying to squirm out of it by denigrating his 6100, claiming that "it has only 512 meg of ram". WA9YOZ has never said how much RAM he has installed in his laptop. A Toshiba 6100 supports up to 1G of RAM, as shown here and many other places.

I would simply ignore the nonsense you post, but for the fact that you might mislead a trusting reader into an expensive mistake.
W8QZ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 07:47:37 AM »

W8JX:
I was replying to the original poster's question - "why is my computer running slower than it used to". I don't claim to be 'the expert' on this stuff, but this approach (reformat and reinstall) has worked for me. It's the approach that the IT 'professionals' at my work use (they call it a 'coreload)! (I guess they don't know much, either - which is probably true  Huh )

At the least, a clean reinstall should put his computer's operation back to 'as good as it can be' (given the hardware limitations). That was the original question posted, right?
KB3HG

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 11:21:25 AM »

JX, If his laptop needs to be scrapped, what would you call mine, 866 MHz 512Mg shared video? XP SP3, Firefox, AVG, Warrior and whole bunch of other garbage running? I surf the net fine, the last nail in my coffin is comcast connected thru a 54G wireless network. its about 15 years old, Oh yeah I like tubes and code too. The rest of the family uses the windows 7 machines here.
Tom Kb3hg
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2011, 02:29:36 PM »

JX, If his laptop needs to be scrapped, what would you call mine, 866 MHz 512Mg shared video? XP SP3, Firefox, AVG, Warrior and whole bunch of other garbage running? I surf the net fine, the last nail in my coffin is comcast connected thru a 54G wireless network. its about 15 years old, Oh yeah I like tubes and code too. The rest of the family uses the windows 7 machines here.
Tom Kb3hg

Tom your definition of fine and mine are two different scenarios.  When you consider that even a cheap 239 buck netbook is light years ahead of it why do you stay in dark ages? Knock yourself out because I know how slow it is but you are used to it I guess. Really hamstringing yourself though.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: