Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Today's CME and HF Propagation  (Read 3215 times)
N6HPO

Ignore
« on: August 01, 2010, 04:59:22 PM »

Hi All,

As a relative beginner to ham radio, I don't know all that much about propagation. However, I DO know just how important sunspots and the ionization of that layer of our atmosphere is to HF local and DX QSO propagation.

Can anyone tell me what it is that we might expect in hf, by...say Wednesday, when this solar wind is supposed to hit Earth?

Are CME's good or not so good for HF, VHF and UHF?  Huh

Alan
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 06:46:02 PM »

I haven't been monitoring the sun lately and don't know what's coming. But, CMEs can be responsible for disturbing the ionosphere and worsening propagation conditions.

Here is a basic HF propagation primer that takes about five minutes to get through:

http://ae4rv.com/tn/propflash.htm

It doesn't have much to say about VHF and above but should help you for the HF basics.

73 Geoff
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 12:45:21 PM »

http://prop.hfradio.org/

"Depending on the speed of the solar wind and the ejected plasma, this cloud will reach Earth's magnetosphere sometime between August 3 and August 5. High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras. Radio communications by way of the ionosphere may become degraded soon after the CME arrives, and the degraded conditions may last for up to three days."

KC9Q

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 09:08:10 AM »

Here's another site on the subject:  http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/SWN/

Mike, KC9Q
KD6KWZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 07:34:52 PM »

From what I understand, most HF bands will work poorly for a few days.

But, there might be some DX on 10 & 6 meters.

Any other thoughts?
N0ZNA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 07:52:46 PM »

Im just south of St Louis Missouri.And had the best dx in months.I work all on 10 mtrs.v31ub,hi/w1jnz,k6bsr,and many more.And the killer is everyone was 5-9 or higher,some where 20 to 30db...73s de N0ZNA/John   I got them all with 7watts also...
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 10:35:32 PM »

Stay tuned and find out.
Bob
N0ZNA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 11:31:17 AM »

I have made numerous contacts on 28 and 29 mhz the last few months.You just have to be patient.There isnt a certain time,other than possibly gray line time.Most of what i have been working is spor-e and some f-2...and anyone can workit,i run qrp 5 wts our less,and a a99 ten foot off the ground...73s de N0ZNA/John  em48sx
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: