Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This one is a DANDY!  (Read 3089 times)
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 01:43:49 PM »

Here's a follow up.

Based solely on the tone of the e-mails, I suspect she's at her wits end. After looking at the 7 photos she sent me of the installation, I can surely see why.

One of the three guys supports is just a few feet (15 maybe) from her electrical entrance. There are two guys attached to the support, and neither one has any insulators in them. There is an anchor supporting the opposite side of the guy support, but that's not all! The guy supports are wooden fence posts! There appears to be no concrete around them. The tower ends are looped around the tower legs, and secured with two saddle clamps each.

The tower appears to be Rohn 25, about 60 feet high. It supports a 5 element 6 meter bead, a 10 element 2 meter beam, 14 element 440 beam, 4 VHF verticals on outriggers, and what appears to be an 80/40 trapped dipole.

I referred her to the local code enforcement folks, and I think this is all anyone can do from a distance.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 01:50:13 PM by Alan Applegate » Logged

WA8MEA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 01:54:38 PM »

I just got the same photos, too....Alan.

However, the wooden post does seem to have a heavy bolt going through it a then the cable to the ground rod.  Still not right....

And that's no tree, that's a bush!

I hate to see neighbors become enemies but this installation is dam dangerous!

I'm telling her the same thing.  Plus, have an electrician back her story up.

She can always give the handy-talkie back to the guy and buy herself a scanner.

73, Bill
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 03:41:31 PM »

Bill, I do my best not to berate the work of others, unless it is richly deserved. In this case it is.

I'm not sure, but based on the photos, I'd say it's a screw-in guy anchor. If you look closely at photo 7, that specific anchor doesn't appear to be tight. If I lived next to this guy, I'd be more than verbal about the lousy installation. What's more, he couldn't have done all of this work by himself. At least one other guy, should have known what's kosher or not.

The really unfortunate part is, this is not atypical. You can't believe the mobile installation photos I receive. It has gotten so bad, I actually added an HOS album to my photo gallery. I'd bet your install isn't one of them.

WA8MEA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 05:37:24 PM »

Alan:

I told her that the installation was "damn dangerous" and for her to seek assistance in this matter immediately, even if it means that the two of them won't be neighborly any longer.  Better to be safe and sound than toast....

I really thought this was going to be someone asking about RFI/TVI.  I sure didn't expect this situation to evolve!

Anyway, I told her to get an electrician or building inspector out there ASAP....especially since this ham insists his installation is correct....

Whatever happened to insulators, turnbuckles and huge industrial hook-eyes buried deep into concrete? 

I have a tilt over....not much on top.  However, I went to my neighbor (a non-ham) for advice.  Why?  He was a machinist, a metallurgist and just plain smart when it came to mechanical engineering.  He owns his own machine shop. 

He convinced me to replace the entire base and bolts used for tipping the tower up and down and even brought over specialty metals and bolts from his shop for me to reconstruct the entire tilt over section. (No charge!)  I'd work on it a little bit each weekend and he'd come over....without me asking....to make sure I was doing the job correctly.  A cool dude and great neighbor.

73, Bill 

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 08:10:03 AM »

I pointed her to the right person at the ARRL, and I'm sure they'll help her.

And I agree, the installation is an accident (on purpose perhaps?) waiting to happen.

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 07:54:53 AM »

This is who he is: KG4DCE

WA8MEA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 08:40:13 AM »

This explains mucho....

I see why she was so upset.....after that hideous tornado/storm weekend down there last week.  She's not only in thunderstorm alley, but spring tornado alley.

I could picture an F-1 picking that tower up and tossing it around....

I was taking a drive along U.S. 12 yesterday, and noticed the numerous guys on utility poles....all with at least one strain insulator, a huge hook-eye either corkscrewed by machine into the ground....or encased in concrete.  The guys also had plastic tubing around the bottom, rising up about ten feet.

Then I noticed a cell tower with guys.  Not a single insulator!  Then I realize, they are probably using a non-conductive guying product.  However, what difference would that make when wet??

73, Bill
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: