Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote control helicopter for antenna installations  (Read 5771 times)
AG4DG

Ignore
« on: May 01, 2010, 07:22:28 AM »

I'm curious: Has anyone ever used a remote control helicopter to install a wire antenna on a tree?  I've seen archery used for antenna installations.  Combining two hobbies is synergy at work.
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 08:08:40 AM »

For getting a line over a branch you usually need to penetrate the tree with something. A rock, arrow, fishing weight, potato, will do it. I have less faith in the arrow to achieve the goal. It could just get stuck like a helicopter would. If you just need to get over the top of a tree then it may work. I am looking to get over a specific strong branch. Fishing pole and weights works for me every time and are readily available.

The actual height you are trying to get can make it more difficult as well as how close to the target tree you have to make your attempt from.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 08:13:05 AM by Mike Herron » Logged
K5DVW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 09:16:12 AM »

No. You can be the first.
GW0DIV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 09:18:21 AM »

The piloting skills needed to do anything useful with an RC helicopter would be phenomenal! I've always liked RC helicopters and was recently talking to some guys at the local club, they reckoned the average was around 2 years of practicing to have reasonable control of the machine. a further 2 years to get acquainted with aerobatics and precision maneuvers. I think the projectile method would be an easier way to go!!

Rhys

GW0DIV
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 09:59:49 AM »

Yes, it takes a while to become proficient at piloting those helicopters, but I can see where you could use it to your advantage.  Lifting a weighted string to a point and then dropping it can get it precisely where you want to put it.  You may have to try several times with a slingshot or a bow and arrow to acheive the same results.  One man in my city uses his 'heli' with a small wireless camera to see what's going on around him.  That also takes a bit of piloting skills to hold the thing in a place to get a fairly good view--and he's good at it. 

Hey!  Why not?  It's these ideas that end up being refined and adopted--and that work--that make ham radio what it is!
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 10:59:22 AM »

Boy, I'd love to watch a guy with an R/C helicopter do that,
he must be very good with that aircraft!

I use a "wrist rocket" slingshot to get antenna support
lines up in trees while camping.  I was doing this in Yosemite
once and this tree-hugger hippy chick came over and started
yelling at me "It's a federal offense to kill birds in a National Park!
Stop that right now or I'm going to call the Ranger!".

My reply: "I'm not killing birds. Please DO go ahead and call the ranger.
I wonder how much weed you and your friends are holding?
That's a federal offense in a National Park too".
They never said another word.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 12:19:56 PM »

Depends on the lifting weight of the helicopter, among other things. 

If you are going to use a remote control to drop a sling load, the weight has to be heavy enough
to pull the rope down to ground level against the drag of the tree.   Depending on the height above
the tree, type of rope, etc. I find that around half a pound is often necessary to do this reliably.
(A common problem with most methods of putting a rope over a tree is insufficient force to bring
the end back down to the ground.)  If you can fly the helicopter far enough past the top of the tree
and drop the weight, it should work.

Trying to fly it over the tree and land it on the other side risks getting the rope caught in the
rotor blades, which would also give you the equivalent of a dead weight on the end of the rope,
but may limit you to only one attempt per helicopter.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 01:14:55 PM »

I shoot very lightweight (6 or 8 lb) line over the top of my pin oaks with a sling shot. You do have to employ a heavy fish weight to get it up to 50-60 feet and then back down thru the tree to the ground.  Depends on the tree species and how tall it is, but with my trees I just shoot over the highest point and hope the line catches on some branches not too far below the top.   Figure on doing it several times to hit the right spot.

I've wondered about using one of those radio controlled blimps you sometimes see at sporting events.  Anyone know about those? Can they be landed?

K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 02:21:41 PM »

How about a remote-controlled MISSILE FIRING helicopter?  Attach the antenna to a sub-critical tactical nuke and...!

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 02:41:44 PM »

I have seem throw-balls, big threaded nuts, bow and arrow, slingshot.

The problem with a remote control helicopter is that you will likely crash it in the tree limbs. Judging by how much that hobby costs, the skill required to fly them, I would go in a different direction.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 02:43:58 PM by Vinnie Sallustio » Logged
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 03:23:05 PM »

I'm not sure it hasn't been done, actually.

I know people do it with kites.  I think with an RC helicopter you'd do it the same way: fly all the way over the tree, laying a line over top,  and then pull up ropes until you fall through  in some sturdy branches.

As long as it can take the weight and whatever it should work fine.

I don't know anything about RC helicopters though :-)

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 09:54:22 AM »

I guess I should have elaborated a bit--the helicopter this guy has is about two feet long, nose to tail, and he has considerable money invested in it.  It isn't one of those toys that some companies are currently selling, and he's been 'piloting' it for quite a few years.  He probably has more invested in his hobby that most of us will ever invest in ham radio.
NR4C

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 07:29:00 AM »

Two things to consider:

1- How sure can you be of EXACTLY where the helicopter is when you drop the weight?

2- The legality and liability of intentionally dropping a weight from a model airplane.  Check your AMA insurance policy.

I think this is a lot more difficult than it looks like it should be.

...bc
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 09:13:04 AM »

I about died choking on my coffee on the small nuke thing that was funny. I have seen a couple of guys here that fly the RC Heli's doing incredible stuff with them it would seem easy for them to do a antenna installation in the winter with little or no leafs on the tree. I use a 10' surf casting fishing pole and a tennis ball with sand in it for the weight. I can get it up in the place I want with 1-4 tries and it is a lot cheaper than a RC Helicopter.

Roland AH6RR
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 03:00:05 PM »

I flew RC planes in competitions years ago and from my experience I would bet good money that while the pilot is manuevering into perfect posistion the rope or string will get caught on a branch and this will cause the Helli to crash!
Is it a good idea to use a $500 Helicopter to do this???
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: