Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drake SW8  (Read 1324 times)
KD5PCK

Ignore
« on: April 27, 2010, 01:26:13 PM »

Is there anyone here familiar with the Drake SW8 shortwave receiver?

Would like to know your thoughts on this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Very-Special-Drake-SW-8-SW8-World-Band-Receiver-Air-/130385894808?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5b9add98
Thanks in advance.

Scott
KD5PCK
CROWBAR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 04:38:25 AM »

Good radio and Drake still supports and has parts for it. There are two versons of this radio. You need to google around. What you want is the version that goes down to 150kHz. Which I think only was produced in 97 and later but google to make sure. It looks like this on was made in 95.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 11:50:32 PM »

It is good, but not worth $410.

For that price, I'd want it to be "all original" with no updates or modifications at all, and in the original factory carton, so it's a "collectible."  That it's been back to the factory for upgrades may actually make it function better, but makes it less collectible because it's not as originally shipped.

If Drake did not change the S/N when they performed updates, shame on them, because it's very standard in the industry to update the S/N to reflect the date of changes performed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: