Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Name of basic electronics show in the 70's  (Read 805 times)
KC5MO

Ignore
« on: April 27, 2010, 04:58:46 PM »

Hey all,
 I remember a show on PBS in the 70's ago that taught basic electronics, but I can't remember the name of the show. Does anyone remember it? This was brought up on a post in another forum, but I can't remember where or which post, and I don't think it had a name of the show.

Herb  KC5MO
KD0JMD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 05:36:35 PM »

Could it have been Mr. Wizard?  Don Herbert (another "Herb", sort of) hosted that show from the early 50's through the early 80's I believe.  It was a general science show, but as I recall included a lot of electricity experiments and demonstrations. 

Herb - KD0JMD
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 05:57:51 PM »

hi

Do you recall the city and state where the program aired
and the station?

It could have been a local production that was not
picked up by the other stations.

73 james
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 06:40:35 PM »

There was a British probgram on PBS back a few years called "The Secret Life of Machines" that  had  a lot of electronics in it as well as how various machines worked.  "Watch Mr. Wizard" was more about chemistry and simple physics. 
Have you ever watched "How It's Made" (I think that is the title) and "How Things Work". 
There are many interesting programs available today and finding a source of 1970's informational programs probably isn't easy.
Allen
N7NBB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 08:38:09 PM »

It may have been a (local) broadcast of a college course. There were lots of those in the 60's and 70's I remember watching a local physics professor teaching a class room full of students, and this was also televised on the local "educational channel" (before organized PBS). I think you could even sign up for college credit for these televised classes (but had to take the test at the college class with the rest of the students)  Don't remember any basic electronics classes with lots of visual experiments, but from time to time there were demonstrations of one principle or another. Mostly, however (sadly) it was just a pretty DRY instructor droning on and on.
Might have been something like this, as opposed to an actual program broadcast nationally.

N3XP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 04:40:19 PM »

A lot of old PBS shows are available, freely and legally, on archive.org.  Some of the old Computer Chronicles, watched today are really funny - stuff was so slow and expensive yet we loved in its time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: