Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 98 reload question  (Read 981 times)
WB9YCJ

Ignore
« on: June 13, 2007, 07:19:16 PM »

My windows 98 SE needs to be reloaded due to a deleted device file. The computer only starts in safe mode.

I wish to reload without erasing existing documents. There are two CDs available; the full W98 SE and the SE upgrade. Will the full version offer a choice to reload while saving existing documents or do I use the upgrade CD? Perhaps the upgrade cd wont have the missing file.

Also, how do I get the CD reader recognized in safe mode? I did it a few months ago but forget how. I think it is done under selective startup or selective configuration.  Big Thank you in advance,
Ken
W5GA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 03:08:24 PM »

The easiest way to do this is to delete your Windows directory from the command line.  This will leave all your data intact.

Sounds like you will have to create a boot floppy, but I don't remember how to do that.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 04:41:53 PM »

hi ken

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/250928/en-us

hope this helps.

73 james
KE7IPY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 09:51:38 AM »

Your Windows 98 Upgrade disk probably won't work without the Windows Directory there. The upgrades search for qualifying products on the machine before it will install. You may be prompted to put in the disk from a qualifying product in order to use that. The full version of Windows 98 should suffice.
KB3LSR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 09:31:29 PM »

You could just try booting off the CD (check your computer's BIOS settings to allow it to boot from the CD-ROM) and install windows overtop of itself.  This "should" leave your data intact and fix the deleted file problem.  It's not really recommended, but I've installed Windows overtop of itself a few times and it's worked ok so far.

73 de KB3LSR
WB9YCJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 02:27:13 PM »

Thanks to all. I have reloaded w98SE but basic problem still present - Normal startup does not provide mouse cursor, full color, internet. See my latest post.
Thanks again, Ken
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 11:21:47 AM »

Check to see if you have a sharing conflict.  That alone can cause the symptoms you describe.

If you've loaded and new software lately and the Win98 installation went south after that, uninstall that software--it may clear your problem up.

The only other thing that would cause those symptoms is failure of a part of the motherboard, but without knowing exactly how the computer is set up, both hardware and software, it is impossible to tell.
KA1MDA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 08:55:23 AM »

It sounds like you are missing some motherboard drivers. Your motherboard/computer should have come with a CD of drivers which allow windows to recognize the chipset, which controls various things like on board video, sound, modems, network, USB ports, etc. I would suggest you find the CD that came with motherboard and try reinstalling drivers. If you can't find it, many manufacturers have downloadable drivers on their web sites. You might have to download them from another computer and burn a CD.

73, and good luck, de Tom, KA1MDA
www.ka1mda.org
WB9YCJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 09:15:29 PM »

I have the CD but am puzzled at how to download the appropriate drivers and which one(s) they are.  There is no "one" easy do it all file or button to select to do it.  I since have taken the computer to a local repair shop who claims they will correct the problem for a flat $40.  Sad thing is the computer is 8 years old and likely only worth $60. Put hey, $40 is cheaper than $300 for a replacment. They said they would solve the problem in about one hour but it now is more than that and is spending the night there so perhaps it was something more complicated. Will let you know.
KD8GEH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 07:37:20 AM »

If you want to do it yourself, you will need to dl the vid card drivers, modem, and any others that have a red x or question mark in device manager.

Backup files like the others said. Boot to 98 SE with cd rom drivers. TYPE: OEMSETUP.

This will format the hd, and do a clean install.

If machine is over 600 mhz, just add memory and install WIN XP. This will have most drivers built in unless you have somethin off the wall. Much stabler.

Let me kow if I can help.  

73,  Dave  KD8GEH
WB9YCJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 04:45:05 PM »

I just got the computer back from a local repair shop. Yes, it was indeed missing drivers. However, the tech said he didnt need the  compact disc with the drivers.  He said he was able to resurrect all the so called missing drivers by going to the system registry (history). It was according to him a multistep process. The drivers were already on the hard disc but need retrival. $40. I fiddled with the driver cd before taking the computer to the repair guy and was ignorant of what drivers were needed and how to download them (frustrated).
Thanks again, 73 Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: