Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New IC-718  (Read 1716 times)
KD4DIY

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2010, 07:34:07 AM »

I bought an IC-718 about a month ago at a hamfest, and have tried repeatedly to transmit CW. Replies from Emails to the shop from which I purchased it treat me like an idiot (Is CW mode turned on). In any case, here are settings I am using:
Mode: CW
Vox: On (I also tried with it OFF)
Break-in: full (I also tried OFF)
Break-in delay: 2
Anti-vox: H
Vox delay: 0
Vox gain: H
I am using a straight key (which works just fine with the IC-735). I get the side tone from the speakers, but no transmit. It took a short while for me to learn how to use the IC-735 in CW mode, but this has me confused. Can anyone help me with this?
Thanks in advance.
Gene/KD4DIY (MARS:AFA4VG)
NR4C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 08:13:10 AM »

Is your key wired correctly?  The 735 has a mono key jack.  the 718 is a three connextion 'stereo' jack.  I think a straight key goes to tip and grnd.  Paddles would go to tip/ring and gnd.

OH, you are hearing 'sidetone'.  hmmmmm.  Try different settings on delay and anti-vox.

...bc
KB8LOG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 08:56:24 AM »

I have an IC-718 as well. I'm at work right now, so I don't remember every detail here, but you'll need to look at some additional settings. To get to those settings, first power down the unit. Next, while holding the SET button down, power it back on. The rig should now be in a different mode, so to speak, which is strictly for changing settings, and can be "navigated" with the same Up/Down buttons you use to move through the menu where you found the settings you already mentioned. In order to return to RX/TX you'll just have to power it down and then power back up as normal. I can't remember the names of the different settings that you'll want to look at in the menu I've directed you to, so you'll likely need to refer to the users manual. Look for something like Key Type or Key Mode - the exact name isn't coming to mind. I hope that makes sense and helps you out.
KD4DIY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 06:26:42 AM »

KB8LOG, thanks. You're on the right track. I won't go into the errors I made, but here is the procedure, cleaned up:
1. You can be on any frequency
2. Make sure Mode is "CW"
3. Turn Unit off
4. Hold down SET button and turn it back on
5. Use "UP' or "DN" button to get to "MoDE"
6. Turn tuning dial to enable TX (Black background little square with TX in it)
7. Turn unit off
8. Turn unit back on normally and voila! CW now transmits
This procedure is NOT in the owner's manual. The MODE select instruction on top of page 8 nibble at the edge, but only hints that you can inhibit selection of mode, not that you can inhibit transmit only.
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 08:15:40 AM »

I borrowed an 718 from a friend for a month to try as a back up rig.  I really liked it, a nice keyer, a sharp looking little radio.  I can't recommend how to get it going on cw, but I would really look into getting the 500 Hz cw filter.  This radio had the DSP, but I still needed the cw filter.  You may have had the filter installed, but if you don't you will end up quite frustrated, I think.  Good luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: