Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: upgrading computer  (Read 735 times)
WD4RCS

Ignore
« on: June 22, 2007, 09:11:19 AM »

Would like to upgrade HP Pavilion from Windows 98 to XP. Simplest way to do this, Tnx
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 07:00:15 AM »

1) Acquire a copy of Windows XP from your favorite software retailer
2) Place CD ROM in drive
3) Follow instructions

Even though the upgrade should be seamless, you may want to back up any critical files. If you are using Outlook Express, you should also back up your mail files. When I upgraded from 98 to XP, it put on a fresh copy of Outlook Express and did not preserve any of my email. Bummer.

Good luck!
Scott N0IU
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 10:06:07 PM »

Before upgrading, you should absolutely backup every data file to an external device -- a thumb drive, a CDROM, or another PC on your network -- and verify that the backed up files are readable.

If you have installation media for every application you use that isn't downloadable via the internet, then I would do a clean XP install rather than an upgrade, meaning that the installer will wipe your hard drive before installing XP. After installing XP, you'll have to re-install all of your applications, but the result will be a system that is both more reliable and faster than you'd get from upgrading.

Dave, AA6YQ
WB3FXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 12:07:59 PM »

I would HIGHLY recommend that you run the Upgrage Advisor that comes with WinXP to be sure you know what drivers and software need to be updated during or after the installation of XP. The Upgrade Advsor will give a very comprensive report (which ends up in the Windows Folder of Win98.  I also agree that you should do a clean install of XP.  HTH

Buzz

WB3FXW  
KB3LSR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 11:05:24 AM »

If the computer had Windows 98 to begin with, you'll most likely need a RAM upgrade.  I have Winodws XP on a Pentium II 300 with 512MB of RAM and it works ok (nothing to brag about, but it serves its purpose).  RAM is cheap, max it out!  But as other posters have stated, make sure to back everything up.  I would personally back everything up, then re-format the drive and do a fresh install of Windows XP.  Make sure to download all of your Windows XP drivers beforehand and burn them to a CD.

Good Luck!

73 de KB3LSR
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 04:08:17 PM »

Heed WB3FXW's advise. If you don't you could very well end up with a non-functional video card, CD ROM, etc. Sometimes you can download an XP driver for older devices and sometimes you get stuck with replacing the device. You may also need to be prepared for a memory upgrade.

KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 06:14:36 PM »

hi corbett,

how old is the hp you want to put xp on ?

reason I ask, most of the older computers
can't take additional memory over 512mb and
the system bus is slower then newer comptuers
and that will hurt performance.

A copy of xp will be expensive too.

another way to go is just get another pc with xp on it,

ibm sells off lease computers right now with
xp installed for only $ 215 free shipping
just add sales tax.

http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HelpDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=-840&langId=-1&subject=2576394

73 james ke4drn
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 06:23:17 PM »

It's also a question of whether the computer hardware will actually work with XP.

What is the processor, and processor speed?

How much memory is installed, and can you add memory?  (A more expensive alternative is whether an addition of memory is possible, or is replacement required?  If three modules of 128 MB are installed, that wouldn't be enough for XP to run very well, but the old memory would probably have to be pulled and different modules installed, if the mo-bo will accept higher capacity modules.)

Will the video card and monitor support the default XP video modes?

In short, the computer may not be able to run XP in an acceptable manner and might provide LESS performance than Win98.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: