Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: COM ports - help!  (Read 553 times)
W0XS

Ignore
« on: March 30, 2007, 10:26:56 AM »

My HP Media Center Pentium 4 computer had software installed to program my HT, my mobile VHF/UHF transceiver, my Uniden scanner and for controlling my ProII with MixW and a RigExpert interface. Everything worked fine until I took the computer to Best Buy for repair because the screen resolution kept resetting itself. They replaced the motherboard and now none of my software will connect with my radios. Recently I bought a microHam DigiKeyer and installed that software and also could not control my ProII with TRX-Manager or Logic8 even after creating virtual com ports.

I'm completely helpless when it comes to computers. Any suggestions on what to do to make my computer connect with my several radio software programs would be greatly appreciated. I see no COM1 or COM2 but there is a COM3 and COM4 and I created virtual COM ports 9 thru 12. I've tried every possible combination of those COM ports with MixW and TRX-Manager to no avail.

Thanks!

W0XS
Bloomington, Minnesota
K5PHW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 02:04:44 PM »

What version of Windoze might you be using?
You may have to go into BIOS and enable the ports there
before you can use them in Windoze.

73 Clyde
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 05:45:51 PM »

Do you have other USB items like a printer that is working okay? Perhaps it is a USB issue, althoug that doesn't explain COM3 and COM4 not working (I assume these are real hardware serial ports).

I'd suggest taking it back along with one of your USB to serial converters and the driver CD. If you are seeing the COM ports on the software programs in Windows then they should work. I think Windows goes directly to the serial port and doesn't depend on the BIOS. That's certainly true of the virtual serial ports that use USB.
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 10:13:53 AM »

If they replaced the motherboard, you may have to re-check the BIOS to ensure all ports are activiated.
    A bigger headache may be having to uninstall and reinstall each piece of software, so that the ports get properly reassigned.  Uninstall one piece of software at a time, (remember to back up settings, frequency lists, etc. first) reboot, and reinstall the software to see if that fixes the problem.  Then proceed with the other programs.
KT4WO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 10:40:57 AM »

this sounds like a BIOS issue... go into the setup
when the puter is 1st turned on.. check the com port settings there.

KT4WO
KB1JAE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 04:02:21 PM »

usb port on laptop won't communicate to icom 910  software is pcsat 32 usb to level changer to  910
running pc sat to change freq for dopler shift
HELP
kb1jae echolink or cq 100 let me know
or  contact  drno_503@yahoo.com  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: