Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dell dimension 2350 question  (Read 434 times)
KC9LKW

Ignore
« on: July 23, 2007, 07:43:53 PM »

I have another computer, A dell dimension 2350 that will not boot up at all, but the diagnostic test says everything is working fine, including the hard drive.
what else could it be? the diognostic lights even say all is ok.

Thanks
                                      KC9LKW
KB3LSR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 07:19:45 AM »

What does "not boot up at all" mean?  If you can run the diagnostics, then it can boot.  If it just can't load Windows, it's a seperate problem.  If you don't have any valuable software (or other data) on the computer, I'd recommend that you just erase the hard drive and do a re-install of everything.  Since you can run the diagnostics, it can boot.  Does it give any error messages?
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 10:13:46 AM »

Most likely the Master Boot Record is damaged.  There are some programs that can attempt to fix that problem but reformatting and reinstalling the operating system in my experience is the inevitable fix.
KB3LSR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 11:08:03 AM »

Make sure to download the newest drivers off Dell's website and burn them to a CD.  It'll make the re-installation of Windows much easier.

To format your hard drive:

1. Boot off the CD-ROM (you may need to hold down F12 to get to the boot menu)

2. Allow setup to run

3. If it asks what you want to do because it found a previous version of Widnows, tell it you want to "install anway" (I think you press ESC, but double check)

4. When it aks where you want to install Windows, highlight the partition(s) and press D, then L (This will delete the partition, and "L" is used to make sure you want to delete it)

5.  After all partitions are removed, you will see one listing where to install Windows, it'll say "unpartitioned space."  Highlight this (it's your only option, so it's most likely already highlighted) and press enter

6. Setup will then format your drive, install some basic files, then restart.  Follow the prompts on the screen and Windows should be up and running in no time.

I've fixed a fair share of computers and the time involved to format a 40GB hard drive and re-install Windows should be roughly 2 hours.

73 de KB3LSR

To the previous poster: to "fix" your master boot record, you can use the FDISK utility (from a Windows 98 CD or boot disk).  The command is:  fdisk /mbr
KC9LKW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 05:47:56 AM »

I finally found the reinstall disk, and did a reinstall. Sence this computer was down for 7 months, there was nothing on it i had to keep. It is working fine now, thanks..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: