Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Free and easy "off site" log backup.  (Read 446 times)
W4TRY

Ignore
« on: June 29, 2007, 02:55:38 PM »

I use different ways for log backup (flash drive,etc),but when I read about using the extra space on my "gmail" email account for file storage I thought about log backup.It works well.I just email my .adi file to myself about once a month.If I need it, I can download it from gmail.One small hitch:When I first tried this,gmail opened the file,so I had to change the file extension to something like .wmv so it would let me download it.Others may want to try this method.73,Grady,W4TRY
N0ZLD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 07:52:02 AM »

Mozy offers 2GB of free backup.  Install it on your computer, select which files are to be backed up and it encrypts then uploads the data to Mozy's servers.  Probably unpractical if your on dialup unless your backing up a very small amount.

http://www.mozy.com/

Sounds like you may just want to invest in a USB drive, although I suppose emailing it to yourself works just as well Smiley

N0ZLD
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 05:52:55 AM »

One of the best log back up procedures is also one of the best QSL procedures. LOTW, which is free, has a provision that lets you download from the server everything you have uploaded. If you were to lose your data you could reinstall your log software, log into LOTW and get back all of your QSOs (I believe in ADIF format) to upload into the logging program.

I used to back up my logs on disc and then on a USB Thumb drive but now I know I am covered "off site" should the unthinkable happen.

Clint - W5CPT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: