Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to look for in computer motherboard upgrade  (Read 417 times)
N5YPJ

Ignore
« on: July 27, 2007, 07:18:23 AM »

My 4 year old 2.0 Ghz computer's motherboard recently went SK. It's been about 10 years since I've built my last computer so there is a lot of new jargon and technology out there that I haven't kept up with. At this point it still is cheaper for me to install a new motherboard than to buy a new box, wholesale. What I'd like is to get some recommendations here as to what would serve my needs most. I use a computer for internet browsing / email, ham sound card modes, and word processing, no gaming, no VOIP or video calls (satellite internet has it's redundant limits).

Richard
W5GA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 10:13:17 AM »

I just had to go through the same thing.  The first thing to decide is what CPU you want to use.  That determines what type of MB to get.  There are several choices of CPU style currently on the market, and the socket on the board has to match.

If your old power supply doesn't have a separate connector coming out of it to power the CPU directly (a small 2 pin connector), you'll also have to get a new ps.  I think all the current boards are configured to use this now.

Next comes the board form factor.  An ATX board won't fit in a micro ATX case, or at least mine wouldn't.

Next is memory compatibility with the new board.  Look carefully, and make sure when you talk to the kid in the store you are both talking apples.  Some of them can't conceive of anything before DDR-2.

Don't expect to see any ISA sockets, and depending on what you get there may not be any serial ports either.

Shop online, LOTS cheaper than any store!

Good luck!

Doug
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 02:19:11 PM »

hi richard,

what os are you running and will you keep it on the new system ?

If you will move to windows XP,
another option is a used pc off lease,

ibm has many to choose from starting at $ 250 and
they all have windows XP included, free shipping,
just pay sales tax and have warranty included.

http://www.ibm.com/products/specialoffers/us/en/icue.html

73 james
KB3LSR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 04:10:16 PM »

It's not really worth it anymore to replace a motherboard/CPU or build a computer from scratch.  In the era of $500 Dell laptops and desktops, it's hard to compete.  A new motherboard and new CPU MAY require you to get new ram as well.  Check www.pricewatch.com for your part prices.  512MB of RAM alone can cost anywhere from $24 to $90 (depending on what brand you get).  If you really want to get a new motherboard and CPU, get an Intel duo core processor (basically a multi-processor CPU, except it only has one physical chip).  Those motherboard/cpu combo sets will run anywhere from $159 to $379.

It's up to you, but I'd get the Intel Duo Core with at least 1GB of RAM.  If you need more help, drop me an e-mail.

73 de KB3LSR
N0ZPY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 06:53:29 PM »

I just suffered a lightning strike and had to replace my system (along with lots of other "stuff")...
I agree with most of the replies you are getting and second the suggestion to check "Pricewatch...".  My AMD dual core system (board, processor, memory, vid card, et. al.)cost about $275.  As previously mentioned, you need to make sure all the parts/pieces are compatible (including case, power supply, "cards", et. al.).  I have dealt with several of the online vendors listed on Priceline and have found most to be knowledgeable and helpful if you call with a question.

Good luck,

N0ZPY
KB9RNS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 02:10:28 PM »

ive built at least 5 computers this year alone, amd has uped the price war with intel, socket am dual core processors can be bought for under $100, all the newest generation parts are cheaper than the last, 512mb of ddr2  can be bought for less than $50, sata HD,s are the same as ide, about $60 for 80gb, i buy on line through either newegg.com or tiger direct
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: