About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solder  (Read 1752 times)
KJ4TEE

Ignore
« on: May 11, 2010, 03:30:55 PM »

What is the best way to get old stuff off of printed current borders (my dad has got home some old bordes from work (he is a elevator dude) and most of the stuff is good and I want to use it how can I get it off)Huh
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 07:02:04 PM »

I like to use a pair of wire cutters to cut old parts off a board. Otherwise I use a soldering iron.
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 06:36:36 AM »

If you are trying to do a large scale removal of components from a circuit board you can try an industrial heat gun.

Flip the board over, use the heat gun to melt the solder in wide swaths. Once it is all melty, smack the board against the table and many parts will simply fall out.

Wear eye protection as the solder can splash off the board and get you.

Here are some examples;
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_364408_364408
http://www.masterappliance.com/master1.html

I have always used the master heat guns.

Tisha Hayes, AA4HA

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 05:04:09 PM »

"printed current borders"

I presume you mean "printed circuit boards". A soldering iron and a solder-sucker is the best way to do it. A solder-sucker is a plunger type assembly that creates a vaccum that sucks the melted solder from the connection. You can pick one up from an electronics supplier for $10 or so.

K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 09:07:52 PM »

Tisha's method really works!

I use a propane torch on the back side of the board, and smack the board down on the edge of an empty 5 gal bucket, so the bucket catches the parts and the solder splashes.

This is best done outside, because the torch sometimes makes the board give off an objectionable odor.  The heat gun probably doesn't do this.

BTW....first look at the solder side of the board and see if the leads are straight or bent over.  If they're bent down against the board, this method won't work.

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
KJ4TEE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 07:32:09 AM »

Ok this is what I have http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3348443 and it is also my dads from work so I will be getting a new one and this is what I want to get http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062753&clickid=prod_cs Grin
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 07:50:54 AM »

I use a propane torch on the back side of the board, and smack the board down on the edge of an empty 5 gal bucket, so the bucket catches the parts and the solder splashes.

There is an electronics surplus company nearby that I frequent to find test equipment. Most of what they have in there is destined for China where they salvage the components off of the boards for repackaging and resale. That is how they pull the components off of the boards overseas. It is very quick way to do a large number of components and boards in a short amount of time.

You could even fill the bucket with water as most components do not mind taking a bath. That would keep the solder splashes from making a nasty mess that glues all of the components together in the bucket.

You definitely want to be wearing goggles, a long sleeved cotton shirt, leather gloves and have burn creme nearby. It takes about 2 minutes to remove most of the components from the board.

Tisha, AA4HA

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
KJ4TEE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 08:52:32 AM »

Ok I have tried to use my torch but the board smokes should I be worried??
N8EKT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 02:44:23 PM »

The fumes that are emitted from components and pc boards when superheated by a flame or heat gun can be very toxic so if you choose to do so, have a fire extinguisher handy and do it in a WELL ventilated area (outside)
with safety goggles, long sleeves and leather gloves as a MINIMUM.

Many cancer causing chemicals can be released into the air so you don't want to breathe in ANY of these toxic fumes!

AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 06:41:10 PM »

Ok I have tried to use my torch but the board smokes should I be worried??

In all things, moderation.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
KJ4TEE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 07:00:21 AM »

Ok great I have a gas mask for fumes so I am not that worried Grin about that thanks I will do that today and find out how much junk I get
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: