Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone worked ona a Icom IC-756 pro 2, if so please read.  (Read 2243 times)
K5ROX

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2010, 11:10:21 PM »

Im working on this unit and ive found several PCB related problems.

Theres some places where some of the traces arent complete.

Ive attached a pix, its 3 spots, ive marked them as small round circles.

Where i have these circles the trace is gone which is breaking a connection.

But it looks kinda like there gone on purpose, like maybe with something round rotating possibly but that could be my imaganation.

This is on the MAIN board under the odd shaped cover where the memory is and at the front.

Please look at the pix and let me know if you know anything.

Thanks, Dave   heres the pix....   http://www.prostarproductions.com/756p2.jpg
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 05:01:09 AM »

Did the radio work at one time? Has anyone else tried to "fix" it? If not, then remember;
Traces can't physically jump off the board.
Traces can't erase themselves.

Those traces were probably gone when it was working.

Clif
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 12:24:26 PM »

Without seeing a photograph of the board you are working on it is difficult to tell if this was a damaged trace.

Now you will sometimes find pads that appear in the middle of nowhere and are not connected to anything. In many cases those are "vias" for interconnecting multiple planes on a multi-layer board. Some boards can have many layers for ground, supply or even signaling busses. The way a signal moves from one plane to another is either at a device pin or through a via.

Hope that helps some,

Tisha Hayes, AA4HA

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
N8EKT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 10:48:52 AM »

Repair of multi-layer boards is not recommended outside the factory service centers.

N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 09:09:36 AM »

"Repair of multilayer boards is not recommended outside the factory service centers."

Huh??? Been in the circuit world for 25 years , I did not know other than the top and bottom layers you could "fix" a multilayer board... Can you share?Huh

WA9UAA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 09:01:56 AM »

ATS,
It's not a matter of 'fix' that is the problem. If you pull a part and the entire 'VIA' comes with it, it's a real problem reconnecting a new 'VIA' to the internal layers of the PCB. AMHIK  HTH
Rob WA9UAA
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 04:32:37 AM »

Not understanding how a "Via" can be reattached to an internal trace , Once the pad is ripped from the board , It can not be repaired unless you use a "white wire" going to the known points, and this is on the top and bottom traces only.

There is nothing special about Yaesu or Kenwood service centers , as a matter of fact , repairing radios for 25 plus years (myself) , in most cases when Kenwood , Icom or Yaesu say "unrepairable" . it means they simply shotgunned it and wrote it off. I fix tons of radios written off by them. Most are actually pretty easy as well.

Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: