Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W98 startup problem  (Read 521 times)
WB9YCJ

Ignore
« on: June 21, 2007, 02:24:24 PM »

I have reloaded Windows 98 twice and each time it did not remove my initial problem. That is, after normal W98 startup, I dont get a mouse cursor, audio, high level color, or internet connection.

However, I am able to go to system configuration utility and with "selective startup" deselect system.INI and after another W98 startup (selective) indeed obtain mouse cursor, audio, and internet access but no high level color. It appears something in system.INI is not right. I run system file checker and no problems. I can go to MSN help site if necessary.

Thanks in advance, ken
KB3LSR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 08:37:06 PM »

Could be a virus?

Try a zero-fill of the hard drive, then re-installing.

Or you can clear the master boot record (MBR) by typing the following command into a DOS prompt:

fdisk /mbr

73 de KB3LSR
KA1MDA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 08:54:30 AM »

This sounds like a classic case of missing windows drivers for your mother board. If your MB has integrated sound, video, network, etc, you need to find the CD that came with the mother board and reinstall the drivers. Otherwise, Windows hasn't got a clue as to how to deal with the hardware.

Good Luck, and 73
de Tom, KA1MDA
www.ka1mda.org

WB9YCJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 02:18:20 PM »

Thanks, I noticed the drivers folder in system.ini is empty.
Perhaps it should have something in it and got erased?
I found the motherboard/drivers CD.
Any idea how I go about doing it?
What folder on my harddrive do I download it to, etc?
The setup folder (on the CD) doesnt give a hint.
I realize I may be asking alot, so perhaps I could stop by a computer repair shop and see if they may offer advice.
Thanks, ken
KA1MDA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 08:58:56 AM »

Normally, just place the CD iun the drive and it should autostart. If not, use explored and see if there is a file in the CD root directory called SETUP.EXE. Click on the setup file and it should launch. Also, check the manual that came with the motherboard. Most of the ones I have seen have dedicated sections on how to install the drivers.

Tom, KA1MDA
www.ka1mda.org
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 03:12:59 PM »

On most Win 98 installations you will need to install Win98, then the mobo drivers, followed by the video drivers and then the sound drivers. Sometimes you are lucky and you won't need to install all of these drivers. The pc should have come with these discs originally. I always dedicate a shoe box to each pc and keep all the disks and documentaion for that pc together.

Mark N1UK G3ZZM
ICR71A

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 04:08:49 PM »

Although no one really wants to deal with this fact, it is long since past time to retire Windows 98 as an operating system.  Microsoft extended support ended in July of 2006.  This means that there are no more patches, security updates, drivers, or fixes.  Self-help information was set to be deleted July 2007, so if it has not already this information could disappear anytime.

Unfortunately, for many users this means upgrading their computers as well.  Often this is a good deal more than just adding additional memory and a larger hard disk--it means a new computer.  
JEFFSTENN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 09:07:50 AM »

I agree with the last message...it's high time you considered stepping up to Win2000 or WinXP...it's false economy to be hanging on to an old PC with an unsupported Microsoft product (Win98). People are throwing away perfectly good computers that are likely running Win2000, maybe even WinXP, or you can scavenge a couple and build something newer from those parts, for next to nothing.

However, short of that, I agree with the previous message that said you're just missing your motherboard drivers. Win98 will do that sometimes, particularly due to a voltage spike or lightning hit nearby...good 'ol "Plug and Play" (known as "Plug n Pray" in the I.T. world, which I used to do for a living, until I came to my senses!!), ...is an automatic hardware-resources assignment function of your motherboard and Windows, just up and decides it's going to reassign hardware resources to something one day, which causes a dominos effect on other hardware resources, with the usual result being no high-res graphics anymore, no sound, no USB, etc., etc....because once you shift the resources for one circuit, others must shift from their previous assignments too (which they usually don't do gracefully).

Do not pick this apart with your old knowledge of DOS and Windows 3.1, playing with the INI files and copying drivers to a directory you've sleuthed out by reading the System.INI file...just do as the guy said and run the "Setup" or "Install" off the drivers CD for your motherboard.

If you don't have that CD, you're going to have to download each driver, then manually install each one by going into Device Manager and looking for the hardware that has a little yellow exclamation mark or something that shows an error for that circuit. Double click on each malfunctioning function in Device Manager, and if you look through the tabs, you'll see an option for "Reinstall Driver." Point it to where you saved the drivers...you'll have to do one thing at a time, reboot, then do the next thing....and so on. Rebooting after each one gives "Plug n Pray" time to sort out resource assignments one at a time, instead of trying to do them all at once.

Hardware designed around the time of Win98 was in the infancy of "Plug n Play" resource assignment (which is a function inside your motherboard BIOS/CMOS chip), so neither the hardware nor Win98 were as capable and dependable as hardware designed and built in the last 5 years.  (by the way, make sure you have the latest/last BIOS update installed for your motherboard)

Do yourself a favor and upgrade once in a while, just like we do with our radios. We've all got better things to do with our time that fight with old PC hardware and primitive Microsoft products!@!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: