Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I can see why there isn't much Linux Support...  (Read 1110 times)
N0NB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 08:30:32 PM »

Jim, K5YUT, I think the poster that mentioned "giving the fox the key" is of the mindset of security through obscurity.  I think ample evidence exists that open/free source code is not an immediate invitation to black hats--the Apache web server  with its near 2 to 1 share of the webserver "market" and its high record of security is all the proof one needs.

Linux, don't fear the penguins!

73, de Nate
Bremen, KS

SKCC 6225
KD5LPB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 12:32:11 PM »

Yeah, check out Ubuntu. It was, and is my first distro and I'm definitely not ever going back to windoze. The support is amazing, and free. If you have a slower computer, check out xubuntu.

Another interesting Distro is Damn Small Linux. It is only 50 MB but is still a complete OS. It runs from a cd, but you have the option to install it to HD, and still only use 50 MB.

Ross
K5WOB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 01:41:10 PM »

I concur with the others regarding Ubuntu/Debian. Easy to use and hard to mess up, especially since you're prompted for a root password any time you try to do something risky to the OS.  I started with Slackware way back in '94(?) on a bunch of floppies downloaded from work at UT-Austin via FTP from Texas A&M. Wink

Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, but my three boxen at home run XP, Mac OS 10.4, and Linux.  I like all of them and dislike all of them for many--mostly insignificant--reasons.  All of the PCs are fairly new with 2-4 GB of RAM.  They're fast enough for me.

I'm running Mint on my Linux box, which is a distribution that adds Flash and Java VM, among other features, to the standard Ubuntu/Debian distribution.  Works great overall.  I use that box the most, hoping like hell that Wine will work when I need to use a previously untested Windows app.  Hit or miss, that.  Although the Ubuntu family of OSes are pretty easy to use, there can be some showstoppers at times, especially with regards to drivers and multimedia-related applications.  Google helps.

There *IS* a lot of "Linux support."

Anyone ever get N1MM's logging software to work under Linux? That would be nice.

73, Alan
N1KDO

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2007, 03:34:56 PM »

If you are looking for VB-easy on Linux, you are not going to find it.  The good news is that you won't end up with VB-maintainability and VB-reliability, either.    Properly developed, your application could be an order of magnitude more stable and reliable on Linux.

You should consider developing your logging application in a cross platform environment, for instance, use the Eclipse GUI and develop Java code targeting Windows, Linux, and Mac.  Use the eclipse SWT (http://www.eclipse.org/swt/) to build your GUI, and use MySQL (or PostgreSQL) for your database back end.

If you don't want to fight the Java learning curve, you could also develop a pretty sweet cross platform application with TCL/Tk, but you may not be excited by the performance and maintainability of that platform.

If you are stuck on Microsoft, you should look into the "Mono" platform, which will let you develop and run .Net applications, including GUI apps on Linux.  Your karma will suffer from this, however.

Those are all free tools and free platforms that will even let your (hopefully) free software run on many platforms, including unFree (as in beer, and as in freedom) platform like Windows and Mac.

There is *plenty* of support for people developing on Linux.  It's called Newsgroups, Forums, IRC, and just plain asking Google.  O'Reilly and Associates publish a variety of books on development with all these tools.

Have fun,

Jeff
KB9XN

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2007, 05:21:44 PM »

Hello Kevin,
I think it is geat that you are working on software related to the hobby.
This is my wish list:
Logbook that emulates Logic8
Radio and Antenna control that emulates TRX Manager
PSK is around but hasn't been updated in a while
Rotor Control for my RS232 controlled Rotor

These would all work together to allow me to get Bill Gates completely out of my basement.  I have already switched everything else in the  house over to Suse 10.2 and am currently looking at PCLinuxOS for my Thinkpad Laptop.

Tried a couple from the UBUNTU (spelling ?) but didn't care for the file manager and the overall appearance.

If you need a beta tester, let me know.
I would love to lend a hand if possible.

73, Howard
KB9XN in the Call Book since 1977
2 x 2 call since 1981
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: