Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best for the money HD antenna for TV  (Read 1478 times)
KI4CFS

Ignore
« on: May 16, 2010, 09:19:15 AM »

I am looking for a best omni-directional out door antenna for our TV and wanted my Ham Radio friends advice on it.

Martin Brossman - KI4CFS
http://www.KI4CFS.com
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 09:22:21 AM by Martin Brossman » Logged
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 10:31:34 AM »

Why omni directional?

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 01:24:47 PM »

You are just looking for a UHF TV antenna.  The antenna "doesn't care" if the TV signal is HD, AM, FM, etc.
Bob
N8EKT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 02:19:06 PM »

I use nothing but Winegard products and they never let me down.

John Winegard is an excellent engineer and unlike most, his antennas are still Made in the USA.

Winegard just introduced a new antenna that might be what you want.
The Sensar "Wingman" RVW395 is their latest HD antenna for RVs

But even the best multi-directional antenna on the market won't even come close to even a small
VHF/UHF combo like the HD7694

While the old 2-13 and 14-83 antennas will "work" well on the new frequencies, HD designated antennas now have peak performance on 7-13 and 14-51 so they tend to produce slightly better performance and ALOT less wind load.

I actually did some calculations and pruned my old PR-7082 down to size for better performance in the HD band plan and though i'm sure my modified antenna doesn't rivial the designs  of John Winegard, it has allowed me to pick up a couple more stations that I could not get with the 2-83 antenna.

KI4CFS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 06:20:03 PM »

The stations are in opposite directions but I am open to any ideas. Thanks for the suggestions.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 12:09:08 AM »

Start here:
http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

I found a stacked Bow Tie antenna that I was able to aim at the farthest transmitters that also received the closest transmitters 60 degrees away from the farthest.  All of the HD transmitters are either SW or SE of me on UHF.

Bob
W5RB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 08:54:44 PM »

Start here:
http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

I found a stacked Bow Tie antenna that I was able to aim at the farthest transmitters that also received the closest transmitters 60 degrees away from the farthest.  All of the HD transmitters are either SW or SE of me on UHF.

Bob

There are still VHF stations  in some areas . A log-periodic and a rotator still make sense for terrestrial TV signals . A few phone calls to station engineers might yield some good info .
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: