Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Palstar AT-AUTO Smart Mode Setup  (Read 1672 times)
KD4ENZ

Ignore
« on: May 18, 2010, 07:04:32 AM »

I'm trying to use the Palstar AT-AUTO in Smart Mode with the Yaesu FT-950, i.e., the AT-AUTO follows the frequency on the radio. How do I know I've done this  Huh I've tried the following, but I see no indication that the 2 are communicating.

My settings are:
AT-AUTO: Config Radio: Yaesu FT-2000, Adj Ser I/O: 4800-N-1
Yaesu FT-950: 026 GENE 4800, 027 GENE 10 (timeout 10 MS), 028 GENE OFF (RTS off) - the settings are according to the AT-AUTO manual for this radio. I've tried other settings, 4800-N-2 on the AT-AUTO, RTS On on the FT-950, but I still can't confirm I'm using "smart mode". I'm using the Palsar to Yaesu rs232 cable.

Without the cable, when I switch back and forth from one previously used frequency to another, the AT-AUTO gives the message, "Presetting L&C". When I install the cable, restart the AT-AUTO, and do the same going between the same two frequencies, I get the same "Presetting L&C" message. I get no indication of frequency following nor difference in operation.

I'm very pleased with the AT-AUTO and even without Smart Mode, it's hands down much faster and more accurate than I on tuning. I'm just trying to take advantage of all the features I can with this excellent unit. My antenna system on my NYC apartment balcony, so it is narrow banded, so accurate tuning is essential.

73. Jim, NY2N
KD5FOY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 12:12:56 PM »

try http://groups.yahoo.com/group/palstar_atauto/
W9CN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 05:56:17 PM »

I hit my head a couple of times getting my Auto AT to talk to both my FT DX 5000D and my Mac running MacLogger DX.

Here are a couple of areas to look at:
Do you have a jumper between pins 7 and 8 on the DB 9 connector on the Yaesu?  Even with the RTS off you might need this..
Set the FT 950 for CAT operation in the menu?
Confirmed that the baud rate is the same on both the FT950 and the Palstar?
Set the Palstar up correctly (there are a couple of pages in the manual that have the settings you need to set and they aren't next to each other)
Did you build the cable exactly as shown in the PalStar Manual?  Check it with an ohm meter?  Those DB-9 pins are pretty small and the numbers are even smaller.
Try swapping pins two and three on the PalStar end if the jumper on pins 7 and 8 didn't resolve the problem and after you have checked everything else.

'73

Mike Pappas
W9CN
KD4ENZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 11:45:07 AM »

Thanks KD5FOY and Mike, W9CN.

Mike, I was using a Palstar to Yeasu cable, so the wiring was by the book, which I confirmed early on. I posted on the Yahoo group too, as suggested by KD5FOY, and ended up with this solution. Changed RTS to YES on the Yaesu. Found that I had to recycle both machines in order for any changes to work. I always turn the Yeasu on first, then the AT-AUTO, in case that matters.  Here's the Yahoo post.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/palstar_atauto/message/1117

Jim NY2N
W9CN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 10:04:16 PM »

Hi Jim,

Glad it all worked out and I expect to hear you one the air very soon!!

Now when you need to add your computer to the mix do to the logging let me know.  I have the "Y" cable thing down!!

Best regards, good DX and '73

Mike Pappas
W9CN
AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 08:10:22 AM »

I will make a note of this.
I have the tuner sitting here waiting on the 950 cable which was backordered.
I know the tuner will work without the cable, but I don't want to have to tear the station apart twice to later plug in the cable. I might hook it all up anyway. But thanks for the heads-up for when I get the cable.

I thought you said this was a weak signal mode ? I HAVE a weak signal and he still didn't hear me.

FWIW: My callsign is AB8KT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: