Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winkeyer USB  (Read 2057 times)
K3AN

Ignore
« on: September 01, 2007, 10:26:20 AM »

Anyone here using a Winkeyer USB keyer with a contesting software package? Has anyone rolled their own software to use with WK USB? I've got some questions.

W5GA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 07:27:43 AM »

I use one (it's in my MicroHam Microkeyer) with N3FJP's software.  If you want, email me direct...w5ga at arrl dot net
AE6Y

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 09:15:24 PM »

I can't help, but can echo your question.  I just ordered a Winkey - USB box and would like to add support to my contest logging program, CQPWIN, which is written in VB6.  Does anyone out there have some VB source code for Winkey control that they could share?  It would certainly help me get started.
  Thanks and 73, Andy, AE6Y, P49Y
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 06:13:26 AM »

Andy, I roll my own contesting software using VB6 and have been working on converting it from serial port CW (DTR and RTS lines for keying and PTT) to Winkeyer USB. It works, but once in a while the program locks up after sending the first CW message. If it doesn't lock up at that point, it continues to work fine. That's why I posted my query here.

The laptop I use it on only has one USB port, and I use an external USB hub to connect the Winkeyer as well as a "thumb drive" that's used for logging file backup. Maybe the driver for Win 98 isn't that stable, or, who knows...

If you'd like, I can send you some commented source code for the Winkeyer. I'm hoping we can also exchange other knowledge and experiences with VB6.

You can reach me at <mycall> at arrl.net.

Bill, K3AN

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 07:08:04 PM »

I have implemented WinKey support in WinWarbler, and will be happy to answer questions. My email address is available via qrz.com .

Dvae, AA6YQ
AE6Y

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 10:43:43 PM »

Hi Dave,
  Thanks for the offer.  I would have contacted you directly, but I didn't recall if Win Warbler is written in C or VB.  If it's VB and you have a handy Winkey module or some code you code lend me, that would be terrific.  If it's in C, then I think I'll just ask questions if I get stuck, hi.
  I know that you are a much more sophisticated programmer than I am, but if you do have VB source code for Winkey that would be great.  I do remember your assistance when I was adding rig control to CQPWIN, and that was very helpful.
  Bill, K3AN, kindly shared some VB code, and I'll find that helpful also.  I haven't started coding yet -- in fact, I haven't even received the winkeyer from K1EL yet, hi.
  73, Andy, AE6Y
  andrew.faber at gte.net
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 06:00:14 AM »

WinWarbler is written in VB6. I am happy to answer any and all questions. You'll be much better off writing the code yourself...

Dave, AA6YQ
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 08:33:13 AM »

Upgrade from 98SE to Win-XP (I'm NOT an early adopter!) solved the lockup problem I was experiencing. Now I just need to install more memory in the laptop to get the wireless card to work again.
AE6Y

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 02:12:10 PM »

One remaining question to Bill or Dave:  I've got Winkey USB working quite well now, and really wrung it out it CQP last weekend.  
  The only feature I haven't implemented is callsign correction on the fly.  That is, in my program normally, I can enter a partial callsign, say K3, then press Insert and the program will start sending.  Then I can enter the rest of the call, e.g., AN, and the program will add it to the K3 seamlessly.
  I haven't tried this in Winkey yet.  I was going to try using the echoed back characters, but am not sure if there will be latency problems.  K1EL thinks that might be an issue, and says that N1MM has implemented a system using the Pointer command.  That seems as though it might be fine, but the Winkey documentation isn't adequate.  Steve says he'll look for more documentation.  
  Anyone else have any ideas??
  73, andy, ae6y
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 10:42:19 PM »

I don't understand the problem. WinKey provides a buffer, so you can send it characters whenever you like; once you initiate transmission, it will dequeue them.

Dave, AA6YQ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: