Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Varifocal Glasses  (Read 858 times)
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« on: May 20, 2010, 10:39:31 AM »

I started needing reading glasses twenty years ago but now I need help with distance vision as well, rather than have two pairs of glasses I went for varifocal lenses. Can someone who has experience of these answer a couple of questions?

1) With my old reading glasses I could 'scan' a line by moving my eyeball. The varifocals seem to have a sweet spot when reading which means I have to move my head when reading a line, is this normal?

2) The glasses have been checked and my lenses are the correct strength, yet when looking at something distant one eye at a time I see a slightly out of focus image in one eye. Is this just a case of getting used to using glasses for distance or is there a problem?

Thanks in advance.

Tanakasan

KB9WQJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 11:16:18 AM »

I started needing reading glasses twenty years ago but now I need help with distance vision as well, rather than have two pairs of glasses I went for varifocal lenses. Can someone who has experience of these answer a couple of questions?

1) With my old reading glasses I could 'scan' a line by moving my eyeball. The varifocals seem to have a sweet spot when reading which means I have to move my head when reading a line, is this normal?

2) The glasses have been checked and my lenses are the correct strength, yet when looking at something distant one eye at a time I see a slightly out of focus image in one eye. Is this just a case of getting used to using glasses for distance or is there a problem?

Thanks in advance.

Tanakasan

I too have Varilux lenses.  For reading, there is indeed a sweet "spot"...it does not go all the way across the lens...it is about the middle third of the lower part of the lens....and the division betwewen sections of the lens are not sharp...they sort of "fade" into one another.  So to sum it up, I too need to move my head when reading to move the sweet spot around.  I think it's normal.  I was told to "operate" the glasses by moving side to side to find and then up and down to "focus".

However, I tried looking at a more distant object (not too distant...I'm at work in an office after all) with first my left eye only and then right eye only...this through the top part of the lens...the distance portion so to speak...and found them to both be in focus.  Upon first looking with the other eye it was oof but then would quickly come into focus as the eye focused upon the object.  I am able to get a slightly sharper focus with my left than with my right...but the right is not bad...I can still read fairly small stuff from across the room.   FWIW, my right eye is very much more myopic than my left.

I hope you find this information useful.  That has been my experience with my Varilux(tm) lenses which I am thinking are the same type of lenses as you are describing.  It sounds as if our experiences are somewhat similar.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: