Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethernet cable  (Read 529 times)
G4REK

Ignore
« on: September 23, 2007, 03:29:34 AM »

I share a connection to broadband with a ethernet cable plugged into the router and feeding the pc upstairs, can i use another pc sharing the same cable in another room, this would require some sort of ethernet one into two adapter i guess ?
  I cannot use wi fi so got to be a cable connection.

Hopefully Jim Tylee.........

P.S. this would be three p.c. conected at the same time....
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 05:50:19 AM »

No you need to plug each PC directly into the router.  If your router does not have multiple ports, you will need to get one that does.
W6VDC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 10:43:25 AM »

You can take advantage of that one cable to get multiple computers out.  There are several options.  Here are a couple:

(1) Buy a switch.  You can buy a 4 or 8-port ethernet switch for $15-30.  Examples but any will do.

D-Link DES-1105 5 Port 10/100Mbps Switch $15.99
  Airlink+ - Dual-Speed 8 Port Switch $19.99

On the switch you will see one jack that says WAN (Wide area network)  Plug the existing cable from your router into it.  Then plug a cable from each computer to the switch and you are done.  No configuration required.

(2) If you have an old ethernet hub around or have a buddy that has one you can use it.  It is basically a switch that doesn't handle data collisions so it is a bit slower but you probably won't notice it.  Same installation as above.  (I carry one in my laptop bag but rarely use it anymore in the age of wireless)

(3) If you have a spare router or friend with one, you can use the spare router as a switch.  You will need to configure it and turn off DHCP, etc but it can be done.

Option 1 is the low hassle inexpensive bet.

Hope that helps.

G4REK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 10:58:33 AM »

Okay thanks a lot i will do the first option

best wishes jim.............
KC7ZRU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 05:00:10 PM »

I'll try to shed some more light on N8UZE's comment.

Yes - each PC that will be on the LAN must have a connection to the router. But, they do not need to be connected directly to that router. Picky, I know and he is right, but....

Many home gateway routers come with several ports (4 or more, depending on model). You can plug a switch or hub into each of those ports and then connect as many PCs to the switches as you have available ports. Switches tend to be preferred for performance reasons. Reasons that most home users would be pressed to encounter.

You can also 'daisy chain' switches (and hubs, to a degree) to avoid running multiple cables into a particular area. How many switches/hubs you can chain together is limited by the Ethernet standard and the types of gear used. 2 or 3 are normally not a problem.

Many routers do have a limit on how many nodes they can support (due to NAT, DHCP, etc implementation). Read your routers documentation to see how many you can setup. But, unless you're setting up an office or business type of site - someplace requiring more more than a few dozen PCs - it's not likely to be an issue.

Seems these days many in our hobby are "intimidated"(?) by IP networks, LANs or even Ethernet - sure don't understand why. It's a whale of a lot easier to understand than impedance (well, for me at least)!
G4REK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 03:25:43 AM »

Okay thanks
          I was hoping that i could split the ethernet cable at the top into two to feed the other p.c. without running another cable all the way downstairs... some sort of 1 into 2 like usb hubs..

jim g4rek.......
KC7ZRU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 05:46:49 PM »

Yea - you can. Just like a USB hub.

Run one wire from downstairs to upstairs - plug it into a hub/switch at the top, into the router at the bottom.

Plug 2 other cables into the hub/switch, other ends of those into two different PCs. Done. You're feeding two machines with one line.
G4REK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 03:54:27 AM »

Thanks, i will get a hub switch today

best wishes Jim..........
KG6OMK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 11:29:22 PM »

This is a little late but Cat 5 cable has four pair of wire inside.  Ethernet only uses two pair.  You CAN run two Eithernet connectons inside the one cable but you have to do some custom wiring.  If you have the RJ45 ends and a crimp tool you can do it.    This is NOT the recommended method but it works perfectly.  

I'd go with the hub or switch upstairs unless you just can't for some reason
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: