Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Software for CW  (Read 572 times)
W5CDL

Ignore
« on: December 26, 2006, 09:11:42 PM »

I am interested in finding out if there is a software application that will allow you to send cw from a computer. What I want is something that runs on a pc or in conjunction with other hardware that connects to your radio and allows you to type your message on the keyboard and it will be sent via cw on your radio. I also want it to be a cw reader. I want the computer to do the cw sending and receiving. Thanks
K7NHB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 09:27:42 PM »

there are MANY programs that send CW via keyboard. Some just switch the PTT or key via a simple circuit off the PC serial port. just a transistor, diode and a resistor or two. Fits inside the larger serial port plug shell.

Some software uses a hardware interface called WinKey.

Receiving CW is more of a challenge and I don't know of a program that does this for free.

My favorites are CWType (free) and CWGet (not free) by DXSoft. MixW also receives CW.

IF you go to the WinKey web site I think they list software that supports their interface.

Paul
VK2ACM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 03:46:14 AM »

Charles,
Send me an email I can get you some assistance....Clint

vk2acm@cmaaccess.com
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 06:07:03 AM »

There is a limited version of CWGet that doesn't require payment.  Basically it will not save your setup parameters from session to session.  You have to reset your parameters each time you start the program.
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 06:11:06 AM »

Keep in mind that CW readers are limited in ability.  If the conditions are poor or the signal is weak or the sender has less than a near-perfect fist or there is a lot of QRM (contests come to mind here), the code readers can't handle the job.  On the other hand, with practice, the human brain can rise to these challenges.
K7NHB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 01:58:31 PM »

I'd say yes and no. I don't know how many send by "fist" anymore - what with all the built in keyers. That leaves the "conditions" with various filtering (think SCAF) before the signal goes into the computer, the software has a pretty good shot.

Mind you, I believe in between the ears copying as a goal. But CW RX software has kept me in the game and paradoxically it can improve my ability by showing me and instant sound/letter response.

They are not perfect, but that's sort the job of other digital modes.

Paul
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 02:31:37 PM »

Even with keyers, it can be impossible for a code reader to read it.  A keyer only imposes proper lengths of the dits, dahs, and sometimes internal spacing within a character.  However, improper spacing between the characters causes the readers to fail.  This improper spacing is quite common (unfortunately).  It is even possible with a keyer to end up with improper spacing within a character if the user does not master iambic keying.  There is also a lot of this on the air too.

KB5VP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 05:33:33 AM »

I enjoy the CW readers too and they have truly improved my code receive skills since I listen to the code as it prints on my screen. Back in 1985 I used an Apple II+ and program from Kantronics to send and receive code. I could send at very high speeds since my average typing skills is around 40 wpm. I started working CW QSO every day and within 4 months discovered I improved my copy skills from 13 WPM to 20 WPM; copying 20 WPM with easy. I wish there was another equivalent program on the PC which I've never found as the Kanronics software was really well written and worked under some surpising conditions. Yes, I could still copy code with poor signals better than the software but by and large I did not want to spend my time on those signals anyway.

So, anyone who wants to try the CW Readers don't be surprised if you find you own copy skills improving just through the use and enjoyment of working code.

Don
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 06:35:53 PM »

KB5VB,
I am glad you shared that. I started using CWGet to get some of the DX that runs faster than my ears and mind can follow. I too noticed my speed was increasing the more I listened and read. I assumed it was just the fact I was spending more time on the CW end of the band.

Glad you validated my observations.

Clint - W5CPT
K8JRF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 07:28:48 AM »

I would like to find out where I can buy or get a copy of a CW program so that I might copy code to the computer screen.
Joe / k8jrf
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: