Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PAR Antennas  (Read 1640 times)
KB0XR

Ignore
« on: May 24, 2010, 05:11:15 AM »

I'm trying to get on 6 meters fairly inexpensively so I have been doing a bit of research on limited space antennas.  After reading tons of reviews here and elsewhere, I decided to order a 50 mhz antenna from Par.  An email to them resulted in this message.

<quote>  PLEASE NOTE: We have suspended Omniangle production indefinitely while we tend to our military and aerospace clients<quote>

A ham callsign is listed on the website.  The site still has info on various amateur antennas but they are apparently not available.  They also suggested in the email to buy one from M2 and said any others are no good.

Guess I'll keep shopping.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 08:36:54 AM »

You might try building a 3-D folded loop antenna.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 03:20:01 PM »

The M2 6m "HO Loop" does seem to outperform everything else, for real.

http://www.m2inc.com/index2.html

I went "roving" in my van for the January SS and "roving" in tandem with me was W6YLZ.  We both used identical equipment (same rigs, same transverters, same everything) and on 6m used FT-857Ds at 100W PEP for our mobile rover setups.  He had the M2 HO Loop installed 2' above the roof of his SUV and I had a KB6KQ Loop about 3' above the roof of my van.  They came out to be almost identical heights above ground, and every time we operated we were parked next to each other at various locations.

His square HO Loop consistently outperformed my KB6KQ round loop, every time, on every contact.  I suspected something wrong with my loop, except it was making lots of contacts and its VSWR was nearly 1:1, the coax was new (and very short) and there's really nothing to adjust.  The M2 just worked better.

The PAR suggestion was probably a good one.
MAZZ1232002

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 04:09:50 PM »

I would look at the M2 reviews for that product and then probably buy a KU4AB square loop.

Pete
  WB4CGA
W7KB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 11:35:46 AM »

I recently spoke with Dale Parfitt (W4OP) about his Omniangle and Stressed Moxon VHF antennas.The production of these antennas have been suspended until sometime in the fall (August?) because of prior contract obligations with military and aerospace government agencies.Unfortunately the e-season on 6 meters will be all but gone by the time they become available again.I ordered a few End-Fedz antennas and had a 6 day window to place my order for them.I guess with the economic stress of recent times in this country, a company has to go where the money is available.This is the reasoning behind the suspended production of certain items from Par Electronics.Best of luck in your selection.73.Dennis W7KB.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: