Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Programming problem with Yaesu FT8800R and compute  (Read 1342 times)
KC2SBW

Ignore
« on: September 30, 2007, 05:59:52 PM »

Have tried both ADMS-2I and FTB8800 software programs and can't get either to create communication between FT-8800R and Dell Latitude D620 laptop. FTB8800 suggests that there may be a voltage issue with laptop serial ports. Or is it a driver issue? Cable is new from ADMSI.
Help please.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 08:53:31 PM »

I have used the ADMS-2I program with two different Dell desktop computers and a COMPAQ laptop with no problems at all.  Either the port serial voltages are in fact too low or you could have a defective cable.  Do you have access to any other computers to try?
KC2SBW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 05:11:16 PM »

Tried your suggestion today. Used an Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop to test the software. No go....same error message. Odd that the serial port on both these machines might be  at fault. Tested serial port on Dell D620 with Kenwood software programmer and it worked like a charm.
I'm beginning to wonder if my 'new' ADMS cable is at fault.
Anyway I've dashed a note off to RT Systems describing the issues. We'll see what comes back from them.
Meanwhile, if you have any other ideas, bring 'em on.
73s
Jake
N0MUD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 09:52:04 PM »

Kc2sbw my suggestion and you have to understand I own three FT-8800r's and if you read the book real good it's actually quicker to program the radio by hand that it is trying to waste all this time with a possible bad cable or program.  By the time you finished trying different computers you could have had the radio programed.  Just go to VFO and enter each freq on the mic and have the sub menu all set to go to enter the tone.  You can enter the ENC/DNC also by the mic as well as the power setting.  You only have to go to the radio for the tone and the channel you want each entered into the radio.  Like I said it's a snap and with all this time your waiting for this and that you could be using your fantastic radio.  Now don't get frustrated because I have three but with my first one all I did was read the owners manual and yes it took me a bit longer but I got it done, and now it's a snap.  I have one in my pickup and yes if I absolutely had to I could program while driving but dumb I'm not. I just write down what it is to program and I start at a red light and if I have to really have it now I pull over, enter the freq, tone, memory and wham-bam-thank you mam it's done and back to driving and using my radio.  If you get so frustrated I will buy it from you.

73s

Mike, NØmud

KC2SBW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 11:46:26 AM »

Thanks for your response, Mike. I've been holding off programming by hand because I thought it was necessary to download a default copy of radio settings before programming via computer (or so it indicates in the ADMS instructions). Anyway, after some one-on-one with their tech department, it seems that I have been sold a faulty cable and a replacement item is due in today. So, I should be up and running soon. Meanwhile, I take note of your instructions and will most certainly learn to program on the fly as well. Your enthusiasm for the radio is noted, I look forward to using it.
Thanks again for your input.
Jake
N0MUD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 09:45:57 PM »

Your Welcome Jake.  I hope the new cable is your fix.  I know you will enjoy the radio as it does alot and is fun to operate. Just don't let it overwelme you as it can if your not carefull.  Now what I do is program both sides exactly the same that way what ever side your on you won't be lost.  also to shift from one side to the other is just the push of a button in the upper left and right side.  Just watch to see what is blinking when you push the appropriate button to change sides and then on the other side you can monitor any other freqs that you want to and not miss anything on the other side that you are on to talk.

73's and enjoy

Mike, NØmud
AD5TD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 05:37:48 PM »

I have a Dell Lat D610 and it works FB with the FTB8800 software.  You may have a bad cord.  There is "level converter" circuitry built into the DB-9 connector.

As for programming by hand, in my case, I would have to enter over 700 different frequencies, offsets, tones, etc.  Not a viable way to do it.
KE6SLS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 06:22:15 PM »

good topic folks.  I've got the ft-8800 here in the shack and ordered a second one for my truck.  Anyone program these radios from linux?  If so, what program do you use.  I'd like to keep the shack and mobiles in sync with each other.

Thanks!

KC2SBW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 04:22:31 AM »

Had problems programming radio using ADSM software. Got an error message no matter what I tried. Purchased FTB8800 (British design)  from internet and had no better luck. Eventually got tech support and narrowed it down to faulty programming cable. With replacement cable both software packages worked. Upon thorough inspection, the British software version seems superior to the one offered here for understandability and features.  All my programming done from a Dell Latitude 620 running Windows XP (did I mention that I hate Windows?). No experience using Linux in this endeavor. British software writer seems open to contact and R&D and I suggest you contact him for further assistance  bob.freeth@g4hfq.co.uk.
Good luck with it and let us know how you make out so that those who wish to follow in your footsteps can proceed. 73s
KC2SBW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: