Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Echolink issue with Echolink Proxy  (Read 975 times)
KF0X

Ignore
« on: October 28, 2007, 08:43:46 AM »

Hello!

Our club repeater is located in an area where the only connection to the Internet is through WiFi a couple hundred yards away.  We have solved that problem with a very good Yagi antenna up high on the repeater mast.  The router belongs to the business which donates us the space on top of their building for the antenna.  They will not open up their ports for Echolink use.  Of course, I don't blame them.  We now use a proxy server and it works great.

Now the problem...  The proxy server belongs to a club member and our use of it keeps him from being able to use it himself when he travels or has other non-ham uses for it.  I have decided to set one up at my home.  I have a 12mb down and 2m up connection at my house which is way more than enough to run this.  The proxy server runs great for me and we can connect to the other stations reliably and smoothly over RF.  When I try to use Echolink at home (or anywhere else) on a computer, I can connect to anyone EXCEPT for our club station.  When I try to connect to the club station, it just sits there and times out.   Just FYI--- I have 2 IP addresses at home and I am not running my personal Echolink software on the same IP as the proxy server.

What would cause this?  The other guy's proxy does not have this same problem.  His is perfect, mine is the only one with this problem.

I would GREATLY appreciate your wisdom on this one!

Thanks!

Randy Malick
KF0X
Oro Valley, Arizona
KB3LSR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 10:16:05 AM »

If you have two static IP's, you should use two separate routers to keep the networks separated.  Are your IP's static or dynamic?  I used to use an EchoLink proxy when I was in college (the school blocked the ports) and it worked fine from school and home (where the proxy server was located).  Are you using the latest version of EchoLink?  Sorry I can't be of more help.

73 de KB3LSR
VK5MRD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 12:44:17 AM »

Hi there,

This may not be of help but I thought I would add my two cents worth!

I have been running echolink for over a year now on dial up and I have only recently upgraded to broad band. What a difference that has made!

One thing I noticed was that now on broad band I could not connect to nodes which I could connect with before when I was on dial up.  I kept getting "Time Out" messages etc. This frustrated me quite a bit as you could imagine.

Mind you I know nothing about computers but what it turned out to be was that I had to do "Port Forwarding" on my router. A friend in Bossier LA USA helped me with this task as it was that link in particular that was giving me the grief. Once I followed the instructions and did what I had to do in regards to the "Port Forwarding" echolink has worked without fault.  I can connect up everywhere and I do not have any troubles at all. Something so simple. Of course now that I am running on broad band echolink is so much faster and I do not get any packet loss and I can have more than one person connect up at once Hi Hi.

Hope that my post is of some help.

73 Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: