Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Typing into the text box - problem  (Read 40242 times)
K7ZRZ

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2010, 10:17:25 AM »

I have found lately, that when I type enough text to fill the available space in the text entry boxes, that further typing and text entry exibits a strange and annoying behavior. The text "letter" entries cause the box to jump up just long enough for the letter to get in, but then quickly resumes the position showing ONLY the text which it contains from the top. In other words, one can't see what was written below the first "box-full" of text. Further typing into just makes the text window jump up and down as letters are entered, instantly returning to the top section of writing.

I am using (now) Windows 7/IE8. I have been using the new forum for months now, and have not noticed this behavior until a week or two ago.

Brian K7ZRZ

Brian K7ZRZ
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 03:29:05 PM »

This doesn't happen to me, and I'm on a Mac with Safari. It doesn't happen with Foxfire on a Mac either. However, I see the problem with IE on my PC. This makes me wonder who's problem it is?

N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 02:30:39 PM »

when I type enough text to fill the available space in the text entry boxes
Text entry boxes where? In the forums?
Which boxes - the ones for the replies to the forum?

I am using (now) Windows 7/IE8. I have been using the new forum for months now, and have not noticed this behavior until a week or two ago.
You wrote "now"... did the problem appear only after you changed to Win7?

Mike N2MG

Just  testing an edit
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 05:57:56 AM by Mike Gilmer » Logged
K7ZRZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 06:13:57 AM »

Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner... bad me.

Yes to the questions of replieboxex on the forum, and I suppose yes on the part about the problem starting when I got the new computer with Win7 and IE8 on it.  I wouldn't have done that if my ol' faithful laptop had not suffered a stroke.

There are a number of other screen-display issues that the new computer/software combo has.. which I certainly don't consider an improvement - given the year so "improvemnt time" there has been since my last computer came out.

The "typing anomoly" happens at the 15th line for me, just a couple of lines below the bottom of the box.  It'll just be that way, I suppose, until a patch is issued.  Thanks,

Brian K7ZRZ

Brian K7ZRZ
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 07:33:48 AM »

I've also seen a weirdness in the text box for replies, I think it was, but couldn't reproduce it.  I recall having trouble navigating within the window when editing my response.

I use IE8 (and Firefox intermittently), but only on XP (several computers).  No Vista or Win7.

I haven't seen anyone else report this issue.

I'll keep an eye out for it.

Mike N2MG
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 09:16:27 AM »

There are a number of other screen-display issues that the new computer/software combo has.. which I certainly don't consider an improvement - given the year so "improvemnt time" there has been since my last computer came out.

The "typing anomoly" happens at the 15th line for me, just a couple of lines below the bottom of the box. 

This is good information.

You mention some other screen display issues - are you seeing something here on eham.net with your Win7/IE8 setup?

George
K5TR
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 04:39:24 AM »

I've also noticed some screen display issues, but only intermittantly.  If I exit the site, reboot and re-enter, they go away.  I have to agree that it is probably a patch that is needed.  I just wish that more effort was given to get more programs Linux friendly.  I would drop Windows and IE in a heartbeat!
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 05:24:27 AM »

I just produced the problem in my last reply to an existing thread...

Let's see if I can reproduce it.

(using IE8, Win XP)

It seems if I create a long post,
long enough in the vertical dimension
so that if I post it, then try to edit (modify) it,
and edit it near the bottom of the post,
past "the fold" in the text edit box,
everything gets jerky.

OK, I have a long enough post now.

Am trying it.

Mike N2MG

edit: [Nope, this didn't reproduce it]
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 05:26:43 AM »

I've also seen a weirdness in the text box for replies, I think it was, but couldn't reproduce it.  I recall having trouble navigating within the window when editing my response.

I use IE8 (and Firefox intermittently), but only on XP (several computers).  No Vista or Win7.

I haven't seen anyone else report this issue.

I'll keep an eye out for it.

Mike N2MG

OK I see the problem.  If I try to edit my own post after it's been already submitted AND that post has a quote in it, I get the jerky movement.

Edit: having trouble editing this now
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 06:05:52 AM »

I just produced the problem in my last reply to an existing thread...

OK, got it now.

Reply to an existing post using the "Quote" link.

Then be sure your reply goes vertically past the "fold" and see what happens as you type.

You will see the jerkiness as the quoted part tries to scroll up and out of the text box.

Equally interesting is if you take out the "link=topic=" part, the problem goes away.

(Using the scroll bar at the right of the text edit box has a different behavior as well)

Not sure what that means, but I will report this!

(Boy this was hard to type!)

Mike N2MG
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 06:27:59 AM »

FYI Mike:

As I stated previously, I'm on a Mac, and I use Safari. The text box is expandable by grabbing the lower right corner, whether an original or edited post.

Unfortunately, the box isn't there with my version of Firefox, or IE. After playing with it a little, I only see the giggle problem on edited posts.

K7ZRZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 07:14:01 PM »

Once again, I appologize for not getting back to my thread.  The behavior that is being mentioned is exactly what I have happening when I'm entering text for the first time or in a reply. (Don't know about editing).  It is still a problem for me this date... 7/22/2010.

It is NOT a problem if I keep my writings to a reasonable amount. Perhaps that's a good limiter  Wink

Thanks,

Brian K7ZRZ

Brian K7ZRZ
K7ZRZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 07:15:01 AM »

I did another little test on this, this morning, as I made a reply to a thread I started in amplifiers (How to test 572B).

I have both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions of Internet Explorer 8 on the computer. I can't use the 64-bit version for most browsing because of the flash issue, which so many websites require now to display their pages, including some of the ham forum sites.  So I use the 32-bit version all the time.

I did, however, switch to the 64-bit IE this morning, and found the same behavior. Also I tried it all in the edit mode and found EXACTLY the same behavior that time.

I'll keep trying to notice anything else that might be helpful.

Brian K7ZRZ

Brian K7ZRZ
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 04:20:22 PM »

Thanks for all the data points.  I have pointed this out to one of our developers and he will take a look at it.  IE8 is causing issues in another project i am working on ... I tend to use other browsers myself.

Thanks

George
K5TR
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 06:52:06 PM »

I have the same problem on my office machine - XP/IE8.

My main machine (a mac/Safari) give no such problems.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: