Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spell Check, use it  (Read 3132 times)
WX7G

Ignore
« on: May 31, 2010, 11:20:51 AM »

Please use the eham Spell Check feature when posting.

Grossly misspelled and poorly written posts tell me that either the person is semi-illiterate or they don't care enough to put a real effort into their question while at the same time asking hams to put in time and effort to answer their question.

After you write your post look at it. Does it contain superfluous information? Take it out. Is it missing information that might be needed? Add it.

Remember to include the band of operation; that is frequently left out.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 11:23:04 AM by DAVE CUTHBERT » Logged
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 01:51:08 PM »

Also be sure to include suffient details about your problem, what kind of checks you've made, and all the symptoms. Questions like "my radio suddenly quit working - what do you think my problem is?" really can't be answered other than just a completly wild guess.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 01:53:21 PM »

sufficient  Cheesy
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 04:50:53 PM »

Ah, but all that takes effort, intelligence and a command of the English Language for those who have English as their native language. Most semi-literate postings lack at least two of the requirements and most of the time, all three.

Those posts with a lack of information and posted by folks who think the readers can read minds, as well as the printer word.

Unfortunately, literacy is not a prerequisite for an amateur radio license.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 06:36:53 PM »

I think we're seeing the circle completing itself.

What I mean is this:

Decades ago, most people who had some education learned to read and write fairly well out of necessity, because telegrams, letters, books, newspapers and magazines were about the only means of communication other than talking to someone face-to-face. Being able to express oneself and understand others with the written word was vital. Read letters home from soldiers fighting the Civil War and you'll see that even people with only a grade-school education wrote remarkably well.

In the 20th century, however, things began to change. Radio and silent motion pictures came first, then "talkies" and TV. Meanwhile telephones became more and more common in private homes, and long-distance calling less expensive and easier. Improvements in transportation made it much more common for people to have face-to-face meetings than to communicate by long series of letters.

So the written word became less important to many people. Byt the 1950s many Americans spent far more time watching TV, talking on the 'phone, etc., than they did reading and writing.

Verbal communication is different because of the instant feedback available, plus the nonverbal cues such as facial expression, tone of voice, etc. I've seen people - educated adults! -  have complete conversations in which neither party ever uttered a complete sentence, yet they both understood each other because of the nonverbal info. 

Then came the internet, email, and forums like this one. All of a sudden, being able to use the written word became more important. Lack of skill in written English became obvious.

OTOH, there are folks who just don't care.

73 de Jim, N2EY
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 06:44:47 PM »

hi,

Firefox browser has spell check as an option in preferences.

73 james
WG8Z

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 07:11:49 PM »

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye is wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.
As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.
Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.
-Sauce unknown
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 10:55:51 PM »

Ignore and Spell check are huge improvements.

Bob
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 03:57:50 AM »

Deer Sir

Hear is the knew pair of blew genes ewe ordered.

Tanakasan
W5RB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 07:14:56 AM »

Extreme spelling and grammar anomalies can be distracting , yet they may also give us a sense of the kind of response needed . I've been thinking of a simple template , nothing too involved , that could be put up in FAQs , or as a sticky note , maybe with variations for specific forums .

Something like this :

Hello , my name is  (Your Name ) , I am a ( Class of License or other  ) , with ( no , a little , lots of ) operating experience .

My station consists of (radios ) , (power supply ) , ( meters , tuners , amps and accessories ) , and ( type of antennas ) located about (feet ) high , and (feet ) from my operating position . The antennas are fed with ( length and  type of coax , ladder line , scraps of speaker wire , etc.)

My problem is ( low power out , high SWR , nobody will talk to me ,  interference , or other ) , and happens when I operate ( what bands ) and (what modes ) .

Troubleshooting aids I have available include ( meters , dummy load , antenna analyzer , multimeter , etc. )

This is just an off-the cuff  format , no doubt others could improve on it , but I think the basic idea is sound , and might save some time for questioners and responders alike . Anybody care to run with the idea ?

Russ, W5RB
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 08:11:55 AM »

W5RB the form could help.

Eats shoots and leaves.
W5RB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 08:18:11 AM »

Yer a panda ?
 Cheesy
KT1F

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 10:11:42 AM »

Unfortunately a spell checker won't catch the things that often make me cringe. The "there and their, your and you're" type problems and unnecessary apostrophes in a plural.

I'm sure some people think that an apostrophe means "Holy sh... get ready ... here comes an s!".

I don't think I've particularly seen these on eHam and I have to admit that in the bigger scheme of things, they're hardly worth worrying about but they still really stand out for me for some reason. I never really saw the apostrophe thing before moving to the US.
W5RB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 01:18:47 PM »

Unfortunately a spell checker won't catch the things that often make me cringe. The "there and their, your and you're" type problems and unnecessary apostrophes in a plural.

I'm sure some people think that an apostrophe means "Holy sh... get ready ... here comes an s!".

I don't think I've particularly seen these on eHam and I have to admit that in the bigger scheme of things, they're hardly worth worrying about but they still really stand out for me for some reason. I never really saw the apostrophe thing before moving to the US.

ROFL . I think the thing with apo'strophe's  probably started with advertising copy for TVs and VCRs , and just kept getting worse . I've seen folks who truly do just throw them randomly in front of trailing esses , even when a word's not plural or possessive . And then there's "it's" which is an exception that lots of folks get wrong .

To touch on one of Jim's points , people who speak poorly tend to be the same ones who read poorly , dunno which is the chicken or the egg , but they feed each other . Around here , too many print ads mix up "formally " and "formerly " , for instance .

That aside , I try to ignore the minor mishaps , as I know I make some too , and focus on the message .As a frequent poster in another forum puts it , "Wag more. Bark less ."

Russ, W5RB
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 01:24:11 PM »

73'''''s   Undecided

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: