Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Radio?  (Read 2226 times)
KC8AHN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 08:24:18 AM »

First let me preface this by saying my experience with HF is very limited, as is my experience with HF rigs. Outside of what I am about to write below, the only times I have ever operated HF, and any other rigs was limited to Field Day activities, and I only operated a few.

I will be the third to suggest the FT450. I am a new General, and when I upgraded I needed a complete station. The FT450 can be had fairly inexpensive used and new. Right now Universal has one on their used list for $589, or you could buy a brand new one, without tuner for $699. The radio has IF DSP, 160-6 and has lots of features that I still do not use nor know what they are for. Although there are menus in it, MOST are never used once set, so set it once and forget it. The only one I frequently change is my RF Power, I normally operate it at 20 watts but there are times I need an increase.

Having said that, I am already thinking of my next HF rig, but my plan is to not part with the 450, its a great little rig, and if I can get my kids into radio, Id be glad to give it to them.
KG6MZS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 08:37:18 AM »

Isn't agonizing over a new radio fun?

If you are really adamant about the $500-$700 price range, I don't think you can beat a Yaesu FT-450 with IF DSP.  I don't think you'll find a decent IC-756 Pro anything in that price range.  I would suggest rethinking your price range by perhaps waiting to save up and really make a substantial step forward.  Otherwise why not just stick with what you have?

It took me 5 years to save for my K3/100.  I know that I am satisfied with my purchase because I no longer gaze longingly at the transceiver ads in QST - not even the mega$$$ transceivers.  I think the real proof of customer satisfaction is usage.  The best rig is the one that makes you want to get on the air and operate.  I am on the air almost every day.  Using the K3 is a joy.  I've had mine for over a year and my interest shows no sign of abating.  Now all my interest is in antennae systems.  I think that speaks very well for the K3.

Enjoy making your decision.  It is all part of the fun.

73 de Eric, KG6MZS
KD4SBY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 10:52:08 AM »

Thanks fellows! I got a good bunch of replies to my question! Good ideas and I gonna look into the several models mentioned.
I noticed from the replies that I had to be more specific in what I wanted.
First of all, my price range is firm. I am retired for a long time, and my income has certainly not kept up with overall expenses. Thus "Saving" for a rig is out. I use my savings to live on!
Second, when I said that the replacement should at least equivalent to the TS-430S, I meant the features, like having Memory, 2 VFO's, General Coverage Receiver, RIT, etc., features that I am sure, most modern rigs have.
Third, my interests are flexible, but mostly directed towards SSB and CW in the HF bands above 80 Meters. I might try to do some PSK31, but that seems to be possible with any radio, even with my old 430.
Fourth, my expierence is that older electronic equipment (25-30 years old) tends to detoriate in performance. I don't think it is the semiconductors as much as the passive components, like capacitors and resistors, etc. I think they mostly loose their tolerance from constant cycling over the years. (How much offcourse  depends on their quality in the first place.) But the overall result is that it does not perform any more as it used to. (I don't know if a tune-up would help in such a case.)
In general it is my impression that newer gear has better sensitivity, filters, dynamic range and stability than gear designed in the 80's. (my TS-430S).
And that actually is the main reason for wanting a newer rig.
In regards to getting a good or improving antennas, I agree there 100%. Absolutely nothing beats a good antenna. But in my circumstances, I have one that is as good as I will be able to get. (A flagpole-concealed vertical - HOA rules!)
73's  Bernie.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 12:17:14 PM »

I'd save your money until you have enough for a used
756 PRO Series rig. They are getting cheaper and like the guy
said, a hell of a lot of radio for the money.

Good luck.
Hope you enjoy your purchase whatever you decide on.
73, Ken  AD6KA
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: