Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Repeater Police  (Read 7897 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 07:02:11 AM »

When I departed from CB I remember was the term "handle" being used but not first personal - in fact had I heard someone use that term it would have taken a bit to figure out what was meant....... Nowadays I hear folks on the ham band use "handle" somewhat "the handle here is..". We have our own terminology why use another?......

If I remember correctly, the term 'handle' was used by ham operators years ago, and was hyjacked by the 11 meter crowd.  THAT made it distastful to ham operators who stopped using it except for a few holdouts.

I agree with the people who dislike the 'frequency police' and their often done habit of correcting others--while breaking the rules themselves.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2010, 10:17:14 AM »

Ask the repeater police if as children they were hall monitors.
K6LHA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 12:37:16 PM »

If I remember correctly, the term 'handle' was used by ham operators years ago, and was hyjacked by the 11 meter crowd.  THAT made it distastful to ham operators who stopped using it except for a few holdouts.

Etymologically, the word "handle" was in use in parts of the USA before 1900, particularly towards the sunbelt states.  CB on 11m wasn't allocated until 1958.

73, Len K6LHA
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2010, 06:40:17 PM »

Who the heck cares? These people need to get a life! Roll Eyes
AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2010, 08:05:59 PM »

Who cares ?

Appearently you do since you took the time to read the thread and post a comment about it. And, obviously everybody else who posted a comment cares about it.

If you truely don't care but never the less read the thread and posted a comment about it, let's think about who needs to get a life.

I thought you said this was a weak signal mode ? I HAVE a weak signal and he still didn't hear me.

FWIW: My callsign is AB8KT
N7RCF

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 08:33:18 AM »

Recently, I was listening to a QSO on our club repeater between two of our newest hams. One is 10 the other is 14 and had just received their tickets. I was smiling as I was listening and proud of them. Just then, a self appointed repeater cop breaks into their QSO and tells them to STOP using “over” at the end of a transmission. “That’s CB talk and we don’t allow that kind of thing here”. He then told them that at the end of a transmission, they should say QSL? And the other party should confirm by saying QSL.
These two very intelligent young men have not let such things bother them and are very active on our repeater. As for the repeater cop, after demanding that people say QSL? he has been asked if he is wanting a QSL card  Cheesy
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010, 10:11:17 AM »

Recently, I was listening to a QSO on our club repeater between two of our newest hams. One is 10 the other is 14 and had just received their tickets. I was smiling as I was listening and proud of them. Just then, a self appointed repeater cop breaks into their QSO and tells them to STOP using “over” at the end of a transmission. “That’s CB talk and we don’t allow that kind of thing here”. He then told them that at the end of a transmission, they should say QSL? And the other party should confirm by saying QSL.
These two very intelligent young men have not let such things bother them and are very active on our repeater. As for the repeater cop, after demanding that people say QSL? he has been asked if he is wanting a QSL card  Cheesy

The repeater cop had it exactly backwards.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »

Another ignoramus who doesn't know nearly as much as he thinks he does - especially about voice communications protocols.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: