The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone Visit a New "SprintShack?"  (Read 3650 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2015, 08:59:56 AM »

It's been about two weeks since Sprint took over many of the surviving RadioShacks. Has anyone been to one of the co-branded Shacks? What's the radio parts situation look like?
K8KVN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 04:15:37 PM »

Parts are still available, as they were in the past. There's a Sprint display, but I don't need another phone and head right to the components. Manager told me that closing the non-performing stores should have been done years ago, to avoid the bankruptcy. It seems as tho the Shack will survive.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 03:50:39 PM »

one caveat... maybe two... Salus Capital Partners got the Radio Shack name out of the bankruptcy court.  Standard Wireless, of the SprintShack grouping, only gets to use it for 90 days unless it buys the name from Salus.  which way overinvested in RS and believes it got hosed in the disposition of assets, they wanted to liquidate the company for cold hard cash.  so the Shack is probably going to come off the front of the stores.  Salus is the outfit that wouldn't let RS close the dud stores because it hurt their books too badly.  That's a story yet to play out IMPHO.

the second is that Standard Wireless told, I think Bloomberg News, that they're going to carry parts and accessories that compliment the Sprint side of the floor.

so don't look for XLR connectors and Arduinos in the not so distant future there.

I personally believe the future of SprintShack is that it will be Sprint stores, period, with more space than they need.  prediction is in the air, can anybody hit it on the skeet range???
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 03:54:53 PM by KD0REQ » Logged
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 11:42:09 PM »

What was the relationship between the Radio Shack from Boston in the early 1950s and 'Uncle Dave's Radio Shack' (W2APF) and RS as the Tandy corp? Are they the originals preceding the RS we got to know?
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 06:30:03 AM »

I went into one yesterday and everything looked normal just as a Radio Shack always looked, I didnt really notice anything different. I only saw one sign that even mentioned Sprint. I asked the girl worker and she said that Sprint will be taking over sometime but not sure when. She said even if they do take over thay will still offer RS parts just like before. In a 10 mile radius of where I live there were 6 Radio Shacks, Now there are only two that are open and they will stay open.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 02:12:22 PM »

Radio Shack was formed in boston back in the catwhisker days.  they may or may not have gone bust before they were 11 stores in new england in the 60s, but they sure did then.  that's when Tandy bought them, diversifying from leather crafts stores.  TRS then went national in stages, and really took off in the early 70s with our favorite parts magic wall.

then PCs started appearing, and the president at the time decided he was going to try his hand at it, ordering 2000 so if they didn't sell, they could (somehow) use them in the stores.

bingo!  and "if you can't get people through the door, tear out the wall."

all of which was forgotten in the 80s, and they would have still been trying to sell lunchbox cellphones last month if they could get them.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 01:27:54 AM »

So where did 'Uncle Dave's Radio Shack' (W2APF) fit in? He had separate adverts to the original Boston based radio shack. Or did his outfit just wither away?
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 09:46:00 PM »

Finally made it to one of the very few surviving RadioShacks in town. Manager said Sprint would be subletting 1/3 the store space from his employer, Standard Wireless, starting soon. The store still had a decent quantity of radio parts. He said they would continue stocking parts such as resistors, just not as many SKUs as in the past. I picked up some TV coax, the main reason for my visit.

I saw that the Shack was closing out some high end LED flashlights including the excellent Coast HP14 focusing model which usually goes for about $50. I grabbed the last two, marked $22 each, but when the clerk checked me out he looked at his terminal and said I could have them for $9.99 each. Fabulous!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: