Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RTTY DXCC  (Read 2460 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: June 04, 2010, 01:19:49 PM »

A few years ago I played with PSK a little, and while it was fun, it didn't hold my interest. The guys that I know who are serious DX-ers seem to use RTTY for DXCC related work - so I'm wondering what you think?

I am very tempted to go and pick up a Tigertronics Signalink USB for my MacBook (which already uses one USB port for my KeySpan USB interface to my FT-2000D). I use that for rig control and my MacLogger Log. I know there are other boxes that have the rig control as well as Digital Interface, but $$ is an issue, and the Signalink is perfect for my needs.

I've already downloaded CocoaModem - do you guys recommend it? Again - I'm just looking to achieve RTYY DXCC - I'm not into contesting or anything like that.
NI3K

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 02:28:54 PM »

The Signalink USB is very easy to set up and use.   Check out Yahoo groups...Search for Signalink USB...There is a ton of good info on there.  I would say go for it...I love RTTY...It took me a little over a year to get 100 countries confirmed.  Many dx stations that use  digital modes use lotw so you can get the easy confirmations.   
Scott  ni3k
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 02:32:01 PM by Scott Hummel » Logged
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 07:06:34 PM »

Cool - Scott - and thanks. I've been a Computer Programmer / Database designer forever, and so - initially, I thought "Use a Keyboard for Ham Radio - no way - just give me my paddle - that's digital enough".

But now - I'm thinking the digital modes would really inject some new excitement in my DXCC chase.

Thanks,

Rich
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 09:53:28 PM »

Replace your FT2000 with a K3 and you can still use your paddle for RTTY!   Smiley

WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 05:05:08 AM »

The advantage with RTTY is QRO. It's a big advantage at times to run Legal limit rather than 20/30 watts. I love all the digital modes, but for serious DX RTTY is still king.

73 de Lindy
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 05:07:43 AM »

My next rig will surely be a K3!

I just have to convince the Boss . . .
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 12:50:36 PM »

I agree. For serious DXCC via 'digital', it's RTTY. I just submitted the remainder of my stack of cards for RTTY and that should put me at 117 for RTTY DXCC. Too bad there isn't a 5 MODE DXCC awards as I have PHONE already and am about to submit for RTTY and CW.

Good Luck in your RTTY project. RTTY is a blast and I have taken the bug to heart doing RTTY contesting now.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 10:38:47 AM »

I purchased a Tigertronics Signalink USB and have it interfaced between my MacBook and FT-2000D. I'm also using CocoaModem, and this combo seems to be a good one. I'm having fun and listening until I get the guts to jump in and call a DX station.
AF4XK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 04:59:25 PM »

I just got into digital modes a week or so myself.

Using a K3 and fldigi.

BUT, it seems to me the VAST majority of QSO's i hear (by far) are psk31.

I've only observed one RTTY qso in that time but then again I'm using a modest dipole.

chuck

AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 07:33:20 PM »

I've only observed one RTTY qso in that time but then again I'm using a modest dipole.

Watch the Contest Calendar for the next big RTTY Contest.
You'll be amazed at the number of signals and countries you'll hear...with the modest dipole.
I once worked 72 countries in the first 24 hours of a RTTY contest,
using just a multiband vertical. But that was some years ago when condx
were much better.

To the original poster:
Your DX PSK-31 QSO's can be used towards DXCC RTTY.
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 08:59:18 PM »

I just got into digital modes a week or so myself.

Using a K3 and fldigi.

BUT, it seems to me the VAST majority of QSO's i hear (by far) are psk31.

chuck

Wait for the next RTTY contest, it will be wall-to-wall signals.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: