Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows XP Problem With The MFJ 1279  (Read 751 times)
N4LCV

Ignore
« on: October 08, 2007, 10:23:32 AM »

I have just purchased the MFJ 1279 Sound Card Radio Interface. I need to install Jumpers "JMP3," JMP4," and "JMP5." The manual says to send a signal & watch for the flashing LEDs. The problem is that when I boot up the computer, all 3 of these LEDs come on & stay on. And when I transmit, there is no change in the LEDs. I called MFJ's "Techsupport," and the guy said, "Oh, I bet you are using Windows XP." You need to download a fix from Microsoft, but I don't know what it is & where it is. Good luck."

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Thanks

Randall
N4LCV
KB3LSR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 03:02:02 PM »

Go to windows update.

It should be under START > Programs > Windows Update

You will need to download all of the updates, then restart your computer.  Don't stop there though, check for more updates and restart again.  Repeat this process until there are no more updates available for download.

This should work, if not, just leave another post.

Alternatively, you can go to: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and download the updates.  The method using the start menu just leads leads you to a shortcut for this address.

73 de KB3LSR
N4LCV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 10:12:11 PM »

OK, it took 2 1/2 days with my dial-up connection (the only thing offered in our area), nearly 100 high priority updates, 17 software updates & 1 hardware update. Well over 200 megs of updates. NO LUCK. It's still doing the same thing.

I've gone to the device manager and deleted the com ports & that looked, at first, like it was going to solve the problem, but when the computer automatically re-installed the com ports, the problem came right back.

I've done a regedit and did a "skip enumeration" thing that I saw a reference to and THAT didn't help. I've sent another email to the MFJ techsupport guys, but so far they haven't responded.

Any more ideas?

Thanks

Randall
N4LCV
KB3LSR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 05:12:19 AM »

There may be a problem with how Windows turns the ports on during bootup.  I have a Buxcomm RASCAL (Sound to radio interface) and I think I may have had the same problem.  Try booting the computer up, THEN connecting the serial cable.  Disabling the com ports won't do any good because you'll need them to connect the radio.  If you do want to disable them, you can do so through your BIOS and Windows won't be able to re-install them until they are "re-enabled" in the BIOS.

If booting then connecting doesn't work, drop another post.

73 de KB3LSR
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 07:06:53 AM »

I have two Dell desktop computers with WIN XP Home Edition and a COMPAQ laptop with WIN XP Professional Edition.  Any of the three will operate my TS2000X through an MFJ-1279 interface with no problems.  My guess is either you have the MFJ jumpers set up incorrectly or the computer has a strange BIOS.

What make/model of computer is it and which edition of WIN XP are you using?
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 07:17:42 PM »

Is this a silly question but why do these pieces of equipment still keep using a com port when pretty much all of the modern pc's come without an RS-232 serial port. I know that none of my pc's have a COM port anymore, so I am not sure how I could use the MFJ 1279

thanks  Mark N1UK G3ZZM
N4CVW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 11:18:57 AM »

You can buy a RS232 to USB cable for about $29.00 at Staples or Office Depot
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: