Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 Meter Rig On A Sailboat  (Read 1259 times)
KB1OCC

Ignore
« on: June 10, 2010, 07:48:24 AM »

I have a 26' sailboat that I am thinking of placing a 2 meter IC-2200 rig in.  My plans were to use a J-Pole antenna made from 300 ohm TV antenna wire, coax, etc.  This antenna would be brought up into the rigging via a rope and will Be far enough away from other metal up there. 

I chose the J-Pole route because of the hassle of running coax up the mast to a permanent (slightly cut down VHF Marine antenna) antenna, the possibility of snags on sails, etc.

My questions are:
1.) Will a J-Pole handle the 65 watt maximum output the rig can generate?
2.) Does this sound practical?
3.) How corrosion resistant are Anderson power connectors?  I will remove the rig when not in use.

Thanks
Brian
KB1OCC

PS: Please notice I did not mention using the Rig as a marine radio.  I have a VHF marine radio on board dedicated just to that.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 08:19:19 AM »

It should work. 65W should be okay unless the SWR goes high due to the antenna getting wet.

For a permanent installation you might want to consider one of the sealed marine 2M band antennas. You can find them with Google. Designed like a 1/2 wave marine antenna but for the 2M ham band.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 11:05:13 AM »

I use a Shakespear A-B type VHFantenna switch to switch my 2M mobile rig into the marine radio antenna line.  With my old Shakespear marine antenna, I had to rig up a small matching network to bring the SWR in line on 2M.  My newer Shakespear marine antenna is broad banded and handles the 2M rig just fine.

Terry, WØFM
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 06:42:25 PM »

Make a SO239 connector ground plane out of stainless steel wire. Wink
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 05:51:57 AM »

The J-pole will work fine. W0FM has a good suggestion to switch into the marine VHF antenna. The coax cable loss is high enough that the VSWR should be less than 3:1 even if the antenna has a very high VSWR. If this is too high for your transceiver a 50 watt, 3 dB attenuator can be added in line or use an MFJ-921 VHF antenna tuner ($89.95).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: