Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What should we call ourselves?  (Read 2461 times)
OLLIEOXEN27

Ignore
« on: June 10, 2010, 10:19:27 AM »

I like to think of myself as a radio telegraph operator instead of all the other terms that denote confusion or indicate possible embarassment and avoidance. Ham is too generic, and denotes preconceptions and cliches. Calling myself a CW op or 'into morse code' minimizes the significance of what I do.

When did we start calling ourselves CW ops(?) since most of the population has no idea what that means to begin with. Can't we better promote the avocation if other people better understand exactly what we do?

oli
OLLIEOXEN27

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 10:29:01 AM »

Think about it.

Oli,  Radio Telegrapher
KC9HOZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 11:15:24 AM »

I don't have a good suggestion for a replacement term, but I've always considered "CW" one of the most mis-used terms in amateur radio (think about how many hams have posted here looking for advice on how to 'learn CW'...  Really? Learn CW?)

Have to confess though that I use the term just like everyone else does. Grin

Scott
kc9hoz
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 01:27:23 PM »

I tell non hams that I do amateur radio telegraphy.

As to the term CW; the current usage among amateur radio operators is as a synonym for Morse Code. Yes, it used to stand for Continuous Wave but for that for we now say continuous carrier. The term OOK CW for ON OFF KEYED CW is sometimes used for CW although I wish it was not.

When someone says "he learned CW" I believe it is proper useage of the English language.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 08:44:49 PM by DAVE CUTHBERT » Logged
KQ7W

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 01:44:19 PM »

human being
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 01:51:50 PM »

I tell people that I enjoy my hobby of ham radio--I get to talk with people all over the world and can build some of the equipment I use.

I also enjoy my hobby of making vases on a potter's wheel.

Bob
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 08:40:02 PM »

Well, I never really felt the need to explain it to anyone or catalog what I do.

I just do it.

If they ask, I explain it.

If not, I don't.

N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 05:05:05 AM »

I tell people I'm an amateur radio operator. If they want more detail, I tell them I use Morse Code on the air and build most of my own equipment. I also tell them that there are lots of other things amateurs do, but that those two are my favorites.

---

"CW" means "on-off keyed Morse Code radiotelegraphy" because two syllables are easier and faster than thirteen.

btw, "CW" is one of those terms whose original/literal meaning is all but gone in favor of another one. This isn't unusual. For example, we may describe something or someone as "cool" regardless of temperature. Animal and other words such as cat, dog, fox, pig, cow, honey, sugar, baby, hunk are applied to people as nouns or adjectives. Product and company names such as Xerox, Kleenex, Coke become generic. Acronyms such as LASER, SONAR, RADAR become uncapitalized words of their own.

Sometimes the origins of a word or phrase are all but lost. I know where "take five" came from (it didn't originally mean "take 5 minutes") but how did "joe" come to mean "coffee"?

73 de Jim, N2EY

K5END

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 06:03:33 AM »

Jim,

Excellent argument on the terminology.

"CW" it is.

I'll bet that occurred to you when you were relaxing in your jacuzzi after you get back from your trip in the winnebago.

So where did take five come from, other than Dave Brubeck?

NK6Q

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 09:34:02 AM »

OK, straying from the topic slighty:

FYI: Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" is called that because it's in 5/4 tempo.  All you non-musical types can check it out on Wikipedia.

Most non-hams wouldn't know the term "CW" anyway.  I just tell them I do Morse Code. Why split hairs?

Bill in Pasadena

AA1BN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »

OK, equally "straying from the topic slighty":

I just spent fifteen minutes typing out a great comment to you, and as
I got ready to post, I realized you said "split", not "spit".... making
my comment totally incoherent and out of context.

73 anyway.

John

N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 12:01:40 PM »

Thanks for the kind words.

It comes from landline ("American") Morse Code, as do some other things. The code used on the wires was not identical to the code we use today on the air. Some letters are the same, others are different, and there were some extra symbols. Landline Morse also used spaced dits and three different length dahs (which is why mechanical semi-auto keys were common but fully-auto keys were not).

Some of the abbreviations of the wires survive even today.

We use "ES" as the abbreviation for "and" because dit..dididit is "&" in landline Morse

We use "SK" as the ending prosign because dididitdahdit   daaaaaah is "30" in landline Morse, and "30" was the WU numeric abbreviation for "end of work". (WU numerics gave us 73 and 88 too)

Dididididit doesn't mean the number 5 in landline Morse. It means the letter "P".

You can see where that leads......

73 de Jim, N2EY
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 12:08:16 PM »

OK, straying from the topic slighty:

FYI: Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" is called that because it's in 5/4 tempo.  All you non-musical types can check it out on Wikipedia.

Most non-hams wouldn't know the term "CW" anyway.  I just tell them I do Morse Code. Why split hairs?

Bill in Pasadena

yes, and anyone (other than a dilettante) who actually knows who Dave Brubeck is should know why he called it "Take 5."

That classic work and Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" are tied for my favorite Jazz albums of all time, in any Jazz category.

I never get tired of listening to them.

K5END

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 07:12:28 PM »

It comes from landline ("American") Morse Code...

Dididididit doesn't mean the number 5 in landline Morse. It means the letter "P".

You can see where that leads......

73 de Jim, N2EY

Cool!

I did not know that!

AB9NZ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 08:46:19 PM »

I like that Ollieoxen fella.  Radiotelegrapher, one word.
     de Tom AB9NZ
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: