Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where can I schedule a QSO (been out of CW for 15 years, need a slow QSO) ?  (Read 2833 times)
NQ3RP

Ignore
« on: June 11, 2010, 01:26:49 PM »

Is there a forum or site where one can schedule a practice QSO with another ham?  I operate QRP so need to find someone Pa, Md, Va or NJ.  I've been out of CW for 15 years so I'm rusty and need someone with patience as an Elmer.  Any advice on where to do this?  Or is there a net for people like me?  Thanks guys & gals.

John
NQ3RP

73-
John
NQ3RP
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 03:38:33 PM »

http://www.skccgroup.com/

K9ZMD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 03:53:03 PM »

This is the sked page used by SKCC:  http://www.obriensweb.com/sked/  There are many QRP operators who regularly log into the sked page, so that seems to be exactly what you are looking for.  Many of those who use the sked page are most comfortable in the range of 8-15 wpm, and no one grouses about slowing down to help a guy out.  When you are ready to step out at higher speeds, there are some OT's there who will take you on without blinking an eye.

You don't have to be a member of Straight Key Century Club to use the sked page, but why not join?  I see that Steve already posted the URL for their web site, but here it is again for emphasis: http://www.skccgroup.com/  Membership costs you nothing & connects you with a large group of active CW operators who are extremely supportive & helpful to beginners & rusty OT's alike.   

Good luck & hope to find you on the air soon.  73

Gary,  K9ZMD/6
VA3TSK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 08:53:48 PM »

I'd just like to echo the SKCC recommendations, and add that while there's no cost to join, there's also no reason to wait for your number...Just scan around near the frequencies SKCC recommends (7055, 7120, 3550, 14050) and reply to a CQ or send a CQ at a speed you're comfortable with.  Most people in SKCC seem to be patient and willing to help out a new guy.  When I was learning once I made so many mistakes and got so frustrated I just leaned on the key for a few seconds, then stopped.  The other fellow just sent back "welcome to SKCC and CW".  Nice bunch of folks on CW today, trust me.

Greg, VA3TSK
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 04:10:08 PM »

If SKCC doesn't work out, try the FISTS calling frequency -- 3.058, 7.058, 14.058 .

I think that FISTS also has a service for arranging scheds -- try the website:

www.fists.org

There's a reference to "Code Buddies" down toward the bottom.

Charles
KF7ATL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 08:19:26 PM »

Welcome back! I'm a relatively new ham (about a year) and love CW. It's great fun! Don't let QRP keep you from trying. I live in UT. Last week I had an FB contact with a QRP op in NC. He was 559 and solid copy. BTW, there are lots of slow speed ops on 40 (I'm often one of them). Try 7110 to 7120.

Garth
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 06:11:39 AM »

All good advice here. If you're in to QRP CW, let me refer you to a great website from a dedicated QRP/CW guy in your own state: http://home.windstream.net/johnshan/index.html

He also helps run the North American QRP/CW club: http://home.windstream.net/yoel/

Welcome back!

73 Geoff
K9ZMD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 09:14:37 PM »

Garth,

Sure glad I nudged you along.  Wink  It just purely tickles me to hear you on the air (good fist, BTW), and also posting to encourage others.  Fun?  Toldyaso.  73

Gary, K9ZMD/6
Palmdale, CA
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 10:28:04 PM »

*Scheduled* QSO? 

Why not just try calling CQ at your present speed? 

That method is what pushed me (and likely many others) up to eventually being proficient at the 30WPM mark. 

Don't be intimidated.  You are NOT onstage in front of millions, it is just a QSO. 

Calling at a slow speed is - or should be - indicative of a desire to have a QSP at that speed.  If you do encounter a contact who answers you but wants to push the speed, a simple CW explanation in the way of a "PLS QRS" should suffice and if it doesn't, that's not a contact, that's a LID.  Break off the QSO and try again later.  There are many more on the CW bands who are willing to help, willing to Elmer, willing to slow down to accomodate the situation.  Call CQ. 

KM9R

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 10:23:31 AM »

*Scheduled* QSO? 

Why not just try calling CQ at your present speed? 

That method is what pushed me (and likely many others) up to eventually being proficient at the 30WPM mark. 

Don't be intimidated.  You are NOT onstage in front of millions, it is just a QSO. 

Calling at a slow speed is - or should be - indicative of a desire to have a QSP at that speed.  If you do encounter a contact who answers you but wants to push the speed, a simple CW explanation in the way of a "PLS QRS" should suffice and if it doesn't, that's not a contact, that's a LID.  Break off the QSO and try again later.  There are many more on the CW bands who are willing to help, willing to Elmer, willing to slow down to accomodate the situation.  Call CQ. 

I agree with Clark 100% on this. If the station that answers your cq is sending too quickly compared to the rate of your cq then that is poor op technique on their part not yours. If the responding station to your cq fails to slow their speed at your request that too is poor operating procedure on their part not yours.
Thinking back, I feel lucky that there were many stations operating at 5 wpm when I first got licensed. Today that must be rare and a big disadvantage compared to when I started. Not because you are too slow, but because there are not that many operators today, like yourself, who are willing to put in the extra effort that you have.
I feel bad that I have not intentionally spent the time to send cq at 5 wpm. I will make the effort to change that.

Thanks,
Mike km9r
KC4ETW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 05:58:09 AM »

Send me an email at ke7@comcast.net and we can see what happens.I have the same delima you do.
Kenneth
kc4etw
AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 10:14:58 AM »

7.114 seems to be the de facto QRS frequency. At least I know SKCC tries to use that as a QRS freq.

I sometimes give a CQ out on that freq. very slow but have never had a taker. But I hear other people on there almost every day.

I agree with everybody else. If you call CQ at 5 wpm, the other guy will almost certainly answer you at 5 wpm. And if he doesn't just ask him to QRS.  I worked a guy a few weeks ago that was sending so slow that I couldn't send at his speed with a straight key without screwing up (at least, I kept screwing up  Cry ), so I just switched to a paddle and set my keyer at 7 wpm and we had a very nice QSO.

Bottom line: don't worry about it and don't be afraid to get on the air. People would love to work you.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 10:32:52 AM by Kenneth J. Gilcrest » Logged

I thought you said this was a weak signal mode ? I HAVE a weak signal and he still didn't hear me.

FWIW: My callsign is AB8KT
KC4ETW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 06:04:31 PM »

schedual with me i need a code buddy.
KC4ETW
K5TEN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 10:31:39 AM »

Another kudo to WB2WIK/6 as to why he is my hero.  Thank you for posting that link to SKCC!  I not only joined but had my name added to the Elmers list.

I specialize with working with not only Techs who want to get on CW and work on their skills but are intimitaded by the "speed demons" lower in the band, but folks like the OP who are OT's but have not sat at the key for some time.  I have always added a tad more spacing in my sending, regardless of speed, to make copying easier.  I hear lots of hams with almost non-existent spacing and it all sounds run together to me. 

I am centrally located (West Central Arkansas) and routinely work both coasts during the day on 40M with 100 watts and except for close-in stations at night...both coasts again.

THANKS STEVE!

Bruce
K5TEN

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: