Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Router for Apple and pc  (Read 394 times)
K3ZXP

Ignore
« on: February 19, 2008, 06:39:55 PM »

I plan to switch to an apple laptop, my wife has a pc laptop, and we have desk top pc running xp pro. We need to purchase our first wireless router, can any body recommend a router that will work well in our situation.   We live in a 2 story house and my wife wants to use her laptop down stairs. The router will be in the ham shack which is the room over the garage.

Thanks for you help.  
N4ABA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 08:25:05 PM »

I've used several Belkin routers and now have a NetGear.  The WGT624 NetGear is the quietest so far.  Sits around 7-8 feet from the radio desk.  The first Belkin had poor range and was NOISY!  P/S was at least half of the problem, and ferrites helped but not enough; second router had better range but just as much RFI.  Don't remember the models but it was two years ago or so...doubt that the new ones are any better.  I run a mixed environment of Mac, Linux and Windows machines in a two story house.  Router is located at one end upstairs.  Works well.

Andrew
N4ABA
KB3LSR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 07:00:27 AM »

I have macs and PC's in m apartment and any router will work with both.  The AirPort cards are still 802.11b or 802.11g.  I use WPA security without a problem either.  I use a NetGear router, but I used to have a LinkSys that worked well too.  I'm not sure if the AirPort router will work with PC's, but they are a little more pricy than "off the shelf" routers.  Good luck!

73 de KB3LSR
AD7DB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 04:13:01 PM »

Any of the common router brands will work well: Dlink, Netgear, Linksys.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: