Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows Vista compatibility  (Read 1544 times)
K2MK

Ignore
« on: January 11, 2008, 03:46:29 AM »

It's time to buy a new PC but all of the best deals include Windows Vista. I would love to find a good deal with Windows XP but they are just not out there. I use WriteLog and MixW and use my computer's sound card through a RigBlaster Plus interface.

The RigBlaster uses a serial connection and a second serial connection goes to my FT1000D and my SteppIR controller. I know I will have to add a serial card to the PC.

I've read that Vista is required with the new dual core processors and I also want to purchase the PC with two hard drives in a Raid 1 configuration. I'm not sure if XP can handle that.

I don't want to buy a new PC with Vista and then reload XP. I'm not computer savvy enough to handle that task without problems.

Thanks,
Mike K2MK
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 04:25:59 AM »

Check with Tiger Direct for refurbished computers that come with Windows XP.
KB3LSR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 05:18:54 AM »

Vista really isn't THAT bad (after I've had some time to experiment with it).  If you are going to spend money to get a new computer, you might want to just leave Vista on there or you can go the Linux route.  Whenever a new OS from Microsoft comes out it takes some time to get used to it.  I remember when most of us computer guys hated Windows XP until Service Pack 1 came out and we stuck with Windows 2000.  Windows Vista Service Pack 1 will come out this year (hopefully soon) and it should make Vista "up to par."  Windows XP is still a good operating system, and I use it on the majority of my systems, but then again, Windows 98 was an excellent operating system too.  Since computer prices always go down, you'd be better off just getting a new system, the cost of a refurbished system will be comparable to a new system, but less of a warranty and less power.

Hope this helps.

73 de KB3LSR
KB3LSR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 05:20:44 AM »

And yes, Windows XP can handle RAID (I've used it with hardware RAID 0, 1, and 5 setups).  All the RAID controller does is makes the multiple hard drives appear as one drive to the computer.  Then the operating system gets the drive information from the computer.  As long as you have drivers for the OS, then you are all set.
AI4NS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 06:39:19 AM »

We run XP on dual core systems with no issues at all. The biggest issue you will run in to is drivers. New systems don't always have XP compatible drivers available, but that is rare.
K2MK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 04:11:43 AM »

Thanks to all for the informative responses. I will probably wait for Vista SP1 to come out and then re-evaluate my choices.
Mike K2MK
K4KRW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 09:18:01 PM »

Dual core is no problem.  Even Dell's quad core machines can use XP.  All of the models I just looked at came with XP by default.  Personally, I wouldn't go with Vista.  

Just the built in DRM (digital rights management) capabilities are enough to eliminate it from my consideration.  If you are not familiar with DRM, do a little research.

Here is a good place to start:
http://www.eff.org/issues/drm

Plus add in the unavailability of drivers for many computer accessories.  Plus add in the fact that it is an absolute resource hog.

I have Windows XP and I am very happy with it.  As far as I'm concerned, the only new thing Visa has that could be considered a plus over XP is a little eye candy (again, if you have compatible hardware).

In the end, if I have to move to Vista, I'll instead move to Linux or a Mac.  

It is a shame Microsoft messed this one up so bad.  

Regarding DRM: Apple (iTunes), Amazon and others have finally realized that what DRM does best is aggravate your good paying customers.  So, they are moving away from it.  Hopefully, Microsoft will figure this out too and eliminate it from Vista.

Richard
K4KRW
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 04:48:58 PM »

hi,

IBM has used desktops starting at $ 239 with
windows XP installed and free shipping.

laptops are also available priced higher.

these are just off lease, 7 day no questions asked
return policy and 90 day warranty.

http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=2576395&storeId=1&catalogId=-840&langId=-1

73 james
AD7DB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 12:22:16 PM »

V.I.S.T.A. Viruses, Intruders, Spyware, Trojans, Adware.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 05:41:20 AM »

Aw, come on Dave--stop giving out Microsoft's naming strategies!!  ;-)
KB6QXM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 08:44:17 AM »

I am sorry to hear that you are afraid of Microsoft's new operating system. Remember the old saying...Knowledge is power.

1) Vista has a compatibility mode, therefore you can define what operating system that you would like Vista to act like when executing a program. You can do this for any of your ham programs.

2) If you do not want to use compatibilty mode, you can choose to build a multi-boot system by using multiple boot utilities that are free and easily available.

3) If you do not want to use the multiple boot software, then you can use multiple drives that have multiple operating systems on each of the drives and define which drive will boot via BIOS.

The choice is yours. Do not let technology intimidate you. Embrace it and let it empower you to be a more technical ham!!

KB6QXM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 08:45:21 AM »

am sorry to hear that you are afraid of Microsoft's new operating system. Remember the old saying...Knowledge is power.

1) Vista has a compatibility mode, therefore you can define what operating system that you would like Vista to act like when executing a program. You can do this for any of your ham programs.

2) If you do not want to use compatibilty mode, you can choose to build a multi-boot system by using multiple boot utilities that are free and easily available.

3) If you do not want to use the multiple boot software, then you can use multiple drives that have multiple operating systems on each of the drives and define which drive will boot via BIOS.

The choice is yours. Do not let technology intimidate you. Embrace it and let it empower you to be a more technical ham!!

K2MK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 09:50:15 AM »

I did some further research on the reflectors for the programs that I operate and haven't seen anything that would lead me away from Vista so I will proceed with it. It's also good to know that there are multi-boot options and I will do some additional research on the compatibilty mode feature. I had not read about that before.
Thanks & 73
Mike K2MK
KA3NXN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 11:17:32 AM »

From a ham who is totally microsoft windoze free.
Everything I do ham related from logging to programming radios, I do under Linux.  Just remember what all the operating systems were created for:

MAC OS for Desktop Publishing & Creativity
Linux for development
Plam OS for portability
Windoze for Solitaire

And Yes I am intentionally misspelling windoze!

Jaime-KA3NXN

This message was posted using a Dell XPS-1210 running Ubuntu Linux 7.10.
KV9U

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 09:30:20 PM »

Linsucks (yes I intentionally spelled Linux that way), is an OK OS and has some good features. However, it still sucks compared to MS Windows in several categories:(

I still predict it will become a major player real soon, but I have been predicting that for more than 5 years.

In order for it to succeed against MS Windows it simply has to have programs that are comparable to the Windows programs. In some categories it does have that, but for ham programs, not even slightly close at this time.

It also must improve the font rendering and screen display. When I compare Vista to XP, Vista is better (clearer and more readable). And XP is better than any Linux versions I have tried (several dozen over the past decade).

At least MS may be making some big changes in the up and coming new Windows 7 which is scheduled for 2010. That means that we might see it by 2015. But I tend to be an optimist.

I had to take Linux off my main computer and reinstall Vista for most of my computing needs although I use almost all free or open source software. I do have a dual boot with my older machine that runs XP. So I would have to say that overall I have been surprised at how well Vista does work on a fairly high end machine ... a lot better than I was expecting. And most software runs on it. But you may have some critical program that won't so you need to test that. Most fixes for Vista have been fairly minor.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: