Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows Vista compatibility  (Read 1848 times)
K2MK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2008, 08:55:37 AM »

Dell had a nice deal going in January so I decided to make my purchase sooner than expected and so far everything has been working out fine. I had to add a serial/parallel card to accomodate the serial ports needed for my transceiver and my Rigblaster and the parallel port needed for my 11 year old laser printer. The end result was everything worked perfectly. I set the port parameters in WriteLog and MixW and adjusted the PC sound card line-in level for full-on and both programs immediately started working with full CAT control and control of my SteppIR controller.

I had to fiddle around to get the old printer working because there is no Vista compatible driver available for my model. But I just went down the list of available drivers that Vista presents and I found one that seems to work perfectly with my printer.

One or two of my older programs seemed to prefer running in XP compatibility mode. So I made use of that feature.

Networking with the XYL's PC (so that she can use my printer and we can share some files) was a bit more involved then just highlighting the drive and hitting the share button but it worked eventually once I went a few levels deeper into the dialog boxes.

It looks like my fears of Vista were unfounded. I got good mileage out of my old 1998 PC and I guess I'm set for the next 10 years or so with this new 2008 PC.
AD5TQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2008, 06:56:13 AM »

Try to find a small local computer store or service guy you trust. Hardware is cheap now and all comes with XP drivers. Forget the Raid and use an external usb hard drive. USB 2.0 and SATA2 scream.

Forget service and ADVICE from the large monster companies. We all need a good local mechanic, dentist, doctor and Computer Guy!
AD7DB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 04:32:51 PM »

Here's another VISTA acronym "Virus infected, stay totally away!"

No new Windows system is ever good the first rollout. Savvy people are waiting until SP1 is released and has been out long enough for those problems to be identified and maybe fixed.  Never be first in line to buy the new Windows, you're what Microsoft calls an unpaid beta tester.

I can say all this with confidence because I work in the tech support field and have seen it happen when '95, '98, 2000, ME, and XP all came out.

I love Mac users, so cocky. They are living under a delusion that Macs are totally immune to viruses and spyware.  The meanest thing I do to some of the more arrogant Mac users is simply let them think they are right!
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: